TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this?

Posted by: Ads

TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/10/07 03:30 PM

Hi, Ive recently started researching PP and trying to link it into my TKD. Anyway, I want someone who knows what there doing with PP to try a technique taken from pattern Won-Hyo. Its the initial starting stance where your hands are cupped together at chin height. Ive already found that applying pressure to GB10/GB11 feels like your head is gonna cave in, but what im interested in is also attacking TW10 or TW20 at the same time. So it would be GB10, GB11 and TW20, following the theory of 3 PP = KO I wanna know if this works. I'll try it next week on my instructor but until then I dont want to just go ahead and try on friend or missus (for obvious reasons).
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/10/07 09:47 PM

There's a lot to know before you start using pressure points on people, and just tying it to one of "your" katas doesn't make it safe to practice. Pressure points cause distinct changes in blood pressure, nerve synapses, etc. and can permanently damage organs.

Hitting 3 pressure points aren't an automatic knockout, and unless you're trained in the resucitation techniques of kyusho, you need to steer clear of knocking anybody out with point techniques... unless you think prison is an alternative to learning what you're doing. Indiscriminate use of pressure points is dangerous, and while there are those that disagree with the theory of meridian attacks, etc. I don't remember anyone that thought kung fu or Okinawan karate couldn't get the job done.

Hitting points is a study... a long term study. It's not like learning a backfist strike and immediately using it in kumite... Pressure points require detailed study and practice... not just punching points on somebody and then saying "I'm sorry" when you cause their speen, heart or liver to be damaged.

Not meaning to pick on you, but your entire post sounded like somebody telling me "I don't know nothing, and I can prove it..."

Go find a qualified instructor if you want to study pressure points and how it relates to your TKD katas. Anyone qualified can watch your kata and relate it to theirs... whether it's TKD or Okinawan kata or Chinese forms.

Posted by: justincase

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/11/07 04:05 AM

wristtwister i completely agree with you!
Posted by: underdog

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/11/07 10:09 AM

OK- It's been awhile since I've done that kata Won-Hyo. I do one that is similar now called Heine 2. I stopped TKD a log time ago. The points you named are OK. I actually use them more in grappling. SJ 10, for instance, kind of goes with SJ11 as if they were one point. It is one way to get an arm bar. It is a rub point stimulating the golgi receptor of the tricept muscle tendon. It is a stretch receptor. It should be rubbed toward to finger tips. Even when struck, it should be struck with a rolling motion like the end of an inward block, rolling towards the finger tips.

It can be used to bring someone to the ground. It will hyperextend the elbow. If you are not breaking someone's arm, it is a good control to go to the ground, apply handcuffs or other restraints, roll someone over, many applications. If you hit it correctly and with intent, you will break the elbow if the arm is extended.

The SJ points around the ear are cool. From a tight close standing grapple, grab your uke's ear lobe digging your knuckles into the SJ points in close around the ear. While pulling on the ear lobe and curling your wrist so that you are pressing with the knuckles, you will loosen the resistance in uke's neck. You can turn him around and, for example, pull him into an arm bar choke/rear choke done with the other hand.

I personally haven't hit much with GB 10/ 11 but they are good. They could be well set up from the arm bar as described above. I don't see why it couldn't work as a KO but we don't generally practice that way. If I were going to try it, and I think I might, I wouldn't go for a KO. I'd set it up carefully with the arm bar and tap it with a shuto or back fist and check with uke to see if he got any response.

You can't KO people all the time. It is dramatic and I know that is why many people come to PP study, but it isn't necessary for practice and not a good idea. All you need for practice is light true taps that uke identifies as "good ones". Most times, you don't even need a true tap. For much practice, it is fine to just tap without any intent, the points, to get practice in point location accuracy for angle and direction. If you practice with intent all the time, you get a lot of bruising and soreness which will compromise your practice.

The old advice was to not practice the pressure points hit with intent for more than 15 minutes a week. I know most of us that I practice with actually practice much more than that, but I practice with very well qualified people and we use far more care and safety than you probably have available to you.

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/11/07 02:46 PM

Quote:

There's a lot to know before you start using pressure points on people, and just tying it to one of "your" katas doesn't make it safe to practice.

Thats why I wanted someone here who was more experienced than myself to try it!

Quote:

Hitting 3 pressure points aren't an automatic knockout, and unless you're trained in the resucitation techniques of kyusho, you need to steer clear of knocking anybody out with point techniques.

Yes it is!! Im not trained in resucitation but Im surrounded by people who are as im currently attending classes lead by DKI.

Quote:

Not meaning to pick on you, but your entire post sounded like somebody telling me "I don't know nothing, and I can prove it..."

Well that comment just sounds like YOU know nothing and are trying to sound intelligent by telling me "I dont know nothing" Which incidently in a double negative so what youre actually saying is that I know something.

And I wasnt saying im going to knock anybody out, im going to apply light pressure to gauge the reaction to its effectivness. My instructor will listen to what im saying and advise, if he sees it as too dangerous, or ineffective, it wont be tried.

attempted to fix quotes. gave up

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/11/07 02:54 PM

DKI are good people. I for one, didn't know what your background was or what support you had. Go for it. DKI has been getting people through this material for a long time and GM Dillman knows what he is doing. After you try it, post your results.

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/12/07 11:48 AM

We worked GB 10 and 11 today. We worked them lightly to see how light we could go on a strike and get any kind of neurological effect. With a twisting palm, we got it. We didn't get anywhere as near the effect as we get with Gb 9 and 8, as a comparison. We checked out the skull suture lines etc. for landmarks and explanations. We were hitting with an open palm. How are you using it?

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/12/07 02:00 PM

Well, the move im experimenting with should be the right hand first two knucles and the open palm of the left hand. I think in reality it would be two simultaneous hard strikes, but in practice I only plan on doing it using two open palms.

Ive found that GB 10/GB11 work best when struck at 45 degree inwards; imagine being behind your opponent and hitting the points trying the get the energy to come out through the right eye. Does that make sense

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/12/07 02:40 PM

Well excuse me... since you're obviously so overqualified, I'll yield to your profound knowledge.

Since the warning about how dangerous this stuff can be didn't stick, go do whatever you're going to do... and if your instructor doesn't teach it, how's he going to know if what you're doing is too dangerous?

I would suggest that anybody training with you carry lots and lots of insurance... they'll probably collect on it.

Be careful and don't step on any chi balls...

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/12/07 04:38 PM

Limpwrister, I didnt post the question to have people try and sound clever and negative. It was a simple question, if you cannot answer the question then dont answer it.

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/12/07 05:42 PM

Unfortunately people who try to do pressure points with no information have no idea about what they're doing. GB-10 and 11 are kill points anytime... they have nothing to do with the destructive cycle. They are both neurological points that cause brain damage with light strikes, knockouts with medium strikes and death with heavy strikes... I'll let you practice a few years to know how to deliver those different levels of force to the assigned areas, but since they have nothing to do with the interchange of the destructive cycle, I'll leave it to you to figure out which wood points actually are involved in the DC and where the set-up points for them are.

The TW-20 point is a knockout point with a hard strike and causes dizziness when struck with a medium-force strike... also, not involved in the destructive cycle.

Just as a clue for you, try learning to adapt your TKD kata to use of the "star points", which are ki entry points. You might knock somebody out with them, but at least you won't end up putting them in a pine box with your ignorance.

Now that you have this information, it's like handing a child a gun and telling them "don't put that in your mouth"... Please tell your victims that you don't know what you're doing when you try to use it so they have a fair chance to back out of the operation before they get their brains knocked out because you're too stupid to go find a qualified instructor to study under. You would be just about as qualified to hit someone in the head with a piece of pipe as to try and use these points without proper instruction... but have at it. I hope they have a cell your size in the local prison.

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/12/07 10:05 PM

Did you ever hear that "curiosity killed the cat"? There's a lot of things in martial arts that are like that, which is why most of the pressure point information is pretty well guarded... like the angles of striking and pressure generation involved in strikes to Dim Mak points.

YOU being curious isn't enough reason for anyone to give up this information, and without proper instruction, I can almost promise you that there will be negative results from any practice you engage in with hitting points. Teachers feed this kind of information to the students as they progress and can handle it with both maturity and skill-level, neither of which you apparently have, or you would be already receiving some of it.

Besides the meridians, you need to learn the control points, set up points, point sequences, star points, and all the resucitation methods and reversal techniques for their use. You have to know what hours of the day certain meridians are active and when they are in flux, so you don't damage something you can't fix. You have to control your ki, so that it penetrates to the right depth when you strike as well... but since it's not a TKD skillset, you're just trying to put a bigger bullet into your gun than the other TKD players might have, so it's either curiosity (and we know the results of that from the cat) or ego, which is more probable.

If you want to learn pressure points and kyusho jitsu, find a qualified instructor and do the work...

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/12/07 10:06 PM

Yes I think I can imagine what you are doing. I may ask my instructor to ask Evan Pantazi about it tomorrow. He is going to see him then.

I'd say for myself, I have some easier to locate tried and true spots in the area to hit giving me a good variety of angles and proven reliability. My instructor and I thought we weren't getting as good a result from GB 10 and 11 as we get on other points.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I will ask around and see who is using it as a preferred point and why.

Who are you studying with in DKI?

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/13/07 08:09 AM

Ok, I think this post is starting to get a bit out of hand. I had the thought of attacking these 3 PP's while comparing a PP chart to the start of several patterns.
Perhaps I, like most of us when starting something new, am getting too far ahead of myself and need to slow down and let my teacher teach.

Post over.

Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? - 01/13/07 09:40 AM

Ads,
don't think I'm just trying to be a horse's arse over this... I've seen way too much in my years of training to want to see you get hurt or hurt somebody from trying something you aren't prepared for... and pressure points can be just that.

What you just posted is the most reasonable thing you can do regarding PP training. It's a "one on one" operation, and while you can have classes on them and the dissemination of knowledge in groups, you have to have the "safety nets" and help available to deal with the law of unintended consequences.

I've done the same or more study out of the dojo as in the dojo for over 40 years, so please understand that I want you to learn what you want to learn... I just don't want you jumping into the lawnmower to pick up a leaf... and pressure points can get that way in a hurry.

There was a reason this set of skills was known as "death touch", and all the internet rancor about it not working doen't mean it doesn't... it just takes the kind of time to learn it properly. It has a lot of medical knowledge involved, and a lot of TCM knowledge involved if you learn it the right way. Your skill in it will be how you adapt it to your own skills of fighting.

Knowledge is only good if you can use it properly... otherwise, it's just facts and suppositions thrown at a problem with unexpected outcomes.