Your Views .... Please

Posted by: Tsuruken

Your Views .... Please - 10/21/06 05:49 PM

Kyusho Seminar with Kyoshi Roy Osborne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8u0YclB-XQ
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/21/06 07:40 PM

This demo looks dubious to me. Not in the sense that the student or instructor are deliberately trying to decieve anyone; rather, they are both "true beleivers" and behave accordingly. One sees this all the time in church services where the faithful are miraculously "healed."
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/21/06 09:46 PM

Hard to tell. Ol' Roy is certainly not doing light-touch KO's there. He is whacking his demo partner pretty hard. I'm not sure who the bigger idiot is - Roy for doing those repeatedly, or his partner for allowing them to be done on him repeatedly.

I would NEVER allow someone to do that to me - EVER. Disgusting abuse, IMHO.
Posted by: underdog

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/22/06 08:01 AM

I think it is too much abuse for one session. The KOs are real enough. I know in my school for practice, we take pride in trying to get them as light as possible. These were not really light. I will be doing a KO later this morning and I hope to do at least one in France at the KI convention in 2 weeks. I would never hit anyone kind enough to do me the favor of being my uke, that hard. For a "standing" KO or even for an action KO in practice, uke is rarely really resisting.

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/22/06 08:42 AM

Oh one more thing. I'm in a hurry here to get to the dojo but I can't leave this video without please reminding people to NOT strike necks unless you know what you are doing and unless you are well supervised. It doesn't take that much power to do a GB 20 KO if it is well set up. This guy was hit so hard, that an alignment was necessary and that done without a chiropractic assessment. It doesn't take a whole lot to give someone a permanent cervical spine injury. Respect your uke.
Posted by: jamesd

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/22/06 11:25 AM

Hi Everyone,

Haven't been on the forum for a while and I was quite repulsed to see this video IMO the Instructor is an absolute idiot who obviously has no regard for his student's welfare I bet he doesn't let anyone practice the techniques on him like that!!! The guy is a muppet!!!!!!!!!!

James.

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/22/06 07:35 PM

Thanks guys,

Your views match with my own. There is no duty of care shown for the student and the repeated strikes are just plain dangerous from a TCM point of view and a moral point of view!
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/23/06 06:26 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure who the bigger idiot is - Roy for doing those repeatedly, or his partner for allowing them to be done on him repeatedly.

Matt as I was watching that video that was going to be my exact comments. I said before that I don't agree with KO'ing for demostration purposes... I've can give you a jolt that will easily let you imagine the final outcome. Just my opinion on KO's in general.

My opinion on this specific clip is along the same lines as everyone else... utterly diagusting. What did continually hitting that guy out prove? All it proved that if you are hit hard on the neck you'll go out! SHOCK HORROR! So lessons learnt... if you stand there like a lemon and let a total idiot hit you hard repeatedly it's going to make you feel really really unwell. If you're going to hit someone that hard atleast give them the opportunity to hit you that hard in the first place. This guy could not pull off ONE of those shots against anyone who isn't a willing stooge. Pointless and dangerous demo. Abusive, idiotic and downright fecking stupid. Goes to prove the old saying that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/23/06 01:23 PM

Quote:

Kyusho Seminar with Kyoshi Roy Osborne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8u0YclB-XQ

Although it is difficult to tell much about someone from a single clip...we can know that the uke is an absolute idiot.

This was not kyusho/tuite or anything like it. Uke went down due to blunt force trauma to the spine.

Roy Osborne has stuffed his resume with just about everything but the kitchen sink. Another seminar-warrior most likely.

Kyoshi my aunt fanny.

What I am curious about is why you felt this needed our comments Ron? It is clear what the clip shows. What is not clear is your motives
for the post.

I willing to bet (looking at the man's "credentials") that you two have a bit history...no?

Gav,

I would watch this thread closely, lets not let this denegrate into an e-budo slug-fest.

--KM

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/24/06 06:07 AM

Quote:

Gav,

I would watch this thread closely, lets not let this denegrate into an e-budo slug-fest.

--KM

Don't worry Scott... your young padwan, watch this one he will!

edited to fix quote

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/24/06 08:30 PM

This guy (Osbourne) sent me a video of him doing repeated Knockouts to one student over and over and over again with no care for the well being of his student, In the end of this sickening display his student could hardly stand!

I told Osbourne that I thought what he was doing was extremely dangerous. We are not friends. I wanted others points of views on his practices.

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/25/06 09:40 AM

That is reassuring. Thanks. I was so bothered by the clip that I wanted to post a couple of my own practice KO clips for comparision, particularly since young practitioners, many without instruction or supervision may try to duplicate what they see here. I realize I'm not presenting seminars or anything- just a little underdog here but principles still apply.

1) Practice KOs are just that- PRACTICE- no extra credit for harming uke. Ideally, uke should have no injury, headache or nausea after.

2) A KO can be done MUCH lighter. The emphasis should be on technique: point location, angle, direction, set-up, quality of strike transferring energy. It shouldn't be about force.

3) In my clips, that I am not going to post, there was clearly communication with uke. He knew what was coming and had input into where he didn't want to get hit and how.

4) Also, and granted I was not presenting a seminar but just a student working on my own level, I was SUPERVISED! I say this because someone may try to duplicate the KO in that horrible clip. I had 5 qualified Kyusho International Instructors present. All approved of what I planned to do, saw a walk through of it and deemed it appropriate for my skill level and safe. The 2 people I KO'd are instructors.

5) Just a plea. To any reader thinking of attempting that technique- Please don't duplicate those neck strikes without qualified instruction and supervision. This forum attracts people of all skill levels. I wouldn't want a novice attempting that. You can't learn KOs from clips or magazine articals. You need hands on personal instruction.

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/25/06 09:00 PM

*POST DELETED*

You posted asking for opinions on the clip. This has been given. Please don't use this forum as a staging ground for a campaign against him. With this in mind I have deleted this post containing the gentlemen in questions contact details. I'm sure those that feel strongly enough about the clip will have no trouble contacting him.

Kind regards,

Gav
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/26/06 10:56 AM

Ron,

I get so tired of being right.

Aren't you tired of getting run off from every martial arts forum for just this type of activity? This is so par for the course for you.

You hide behind your monitor and attack other martial artists and never have the balls enough to actually go and work it out face to face.

You are the absolute last person to be throwing stones at people (or do you need to be reminded?).

Dude, you've got grey hair...its time to grow up.

...good catch Gav.

--KM

(smilies for all)

Re: Your Views .... Please - 10/26/06 11:20 AM

Safe to say I think this thread has run it's course! *Clickedly Click goes the key!* I'll re-open this thread only if either of the idiot's in the clip decide they want to try and justify the training method. Til then I'll close this thread leaving on the the advice you should receive when thinking of getting an Uke for Christmas "A good Uke is for life... not just for a quick beating!