Acupressure Vs. Acupuncture

Posted by: Bloody_Barbs

Acupressure Vs. Acupuncture - 09/14/06 06:33 PM

Hey all. Just wondering, would acupressure points be a more accurate guide than acupuncture? I thought that learning acupressure points and then if using them as pressure points I could just strike or put large amounts of pressure on them to imobolise opponents.

Just wondering.

Thanks anyone who helps.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Acupressure Vs. Acupuncture - 09/15/06 09:17 PM

There is a significant difference in acupuncture and accupressure points. Acupuncture points are a combination of nerve points, muscle tonification and detoxification points, neural stimulus, and synapse interruption points that are combined in Oriental Medicine (Chinese Medicine) that are used to treat chi irregularities in the body.

Accupressure points are "tsubos" that are about the size of a quarter and are more "trigger points" to cause relaxation of the muscle groups, blood flow restriction or opening, and neural interruption of the body's signals to protect itself by swelling.

There are a significant number more of the acupuncture points than the acupressure points simply because they are for doing different things, and while they both work as they are supposed to, "converting" them to martial arts use is something that is developed through the art, not as a substitute for it.

If you want to be a "black arts" practitioner, you need to first learn to fight with superior skills so you can use the Dim Mak points "on demand". If you're just screwing around and think you can substitute pressure points for fighting skills, you'll find out that you also have to know how to retard the damage of those strikes and how to do the acupuncture to interrupt their damage.

Pressure point knowledge is a long term process... not just "learning a few points" and then poking them on people just to see their reactions. There are long term effects from some pressure point strikes, and significant shortening of someone's life in others, so before you take off on this course of finding out which one is "cool", you need to know what can and can't be done with them... and whether you have the skills to repair the damage you can do using them.

Posted by: justincase

Re: Acupressure Vs. Acupuncture - 09/25/06 07:34 AM

Quote:

If you want to be a "black arts" practitioner, you need to first learn to fight with superior skills so you can use the Dim Mak points "on demand". If you're just screwing around and think you can substitute pressure points for fighting skills, you'll find out that you also have to know how to retard the damage of those strikes and how to do the acupuncture to interrupt their damage.

Pressure point knowledge is a long term process... not just "learning a few points" and then poking them on people just to see their reactions. There are long term effects from some pressure point strikes, and significant shortening of someone's life in others, so before you take off on this course of finding out which one is "cool", you need to know what can and can't be done with them... and whether you have the skills to repair the damage you can do using them.

I agree with everything you said, first you must be able to fight, then you must learn the human body and mechanics and the energy flow in the body.

But I must say I disagree with your explanation on thepressure vs puncture. Al of them are tsubos, pressure points are mostly acupoints. My teacher of CM and also a professor in one of the Peking CM Medical university specificaly told us, that there are meridians, there is flow, points, acupressure or acupuncture are names that tell us the different metod of usage. The points that are deeper in the tisue and cen only be reached with muscle manipulation and puncture must also be manipulated with the help of your qi and can not be hit just with ordinary punch. You must have fa-jin to use them.

by

respect