fire, earth, water?

Posted by: gman920520

fire, earth, water? - 08/02/06 12:08 AM

I still dont now what this things have to do with pressure points? how is a fire pressure point betterthan an earth or something like that.
Posted by: underdog

Re: fire, earth, water? - 08/02/06 08:07 AM

It is a good question and the answer depends on who you ask. You'd get a very different answer from Gav. My studies are taking me away from traditional Chinese medicine explanations for things.

At any rate, one meridian is not BETTER than another. They are related. They run into each other anatomically. They are also related in something called a cycle of destruction. There is also a cycle of creation wherein you can rob energy from a point on a meridian by attacking it's mother meridian. There is also a daily cycle wherein different meridians most prominent for a few hours of each 24 hour cycle.

That is the abreviated answer to a rather complicated question. Any basic accupuncture book will be able to flesh out the details for you. Maybe individually, we'll be able to hit some of these cycles in topic threads but for right now, the topic is really very big.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: fire, earth, water? - 08/02/06 08:50 AM

Underdog as usual hits the nail right on the head!

The 5 element theory in TCM was based upon the observations of the way the natural elements of the universe interact to form a whole. Each of the elements is dependant on it's neighbour in both the Constructive and Destructive cycles, along in my Shiatsu studies these are being referred to as the Nourishing and Controlling cycles (which in my opinion is a far more accurate translation based upon their functions). I done a post on 5 element theory basics a while back which describes the relationships of the elements here.

HTH.

Gav

PS. Kinda interesting reading back through the old threads and seeing how my perspective has changed. It's actually probably more in line with Kyushogits... shame he was a total twonk, he could probably have contributed quite a bit.