quadrants

Posted by: underdog

quadrants - 07/31/06 01:19 PM

I thought it might be a good idea to open the forum to pressure point ideas that cover a different area of this rich domain. I suggest looking a quadrants as an idea that you can then integrate into a technique in your style, and post the results here. I'll post it a bit like pressure point of the week.

There are essentially 8 quadrants: 4 in front and 4 in the back. They divide the body forward and back, left and right, and upper and lower.

The easiest use of quadrants would be in a wrist lock. Pick your favorite wrist lock. This would put you in the an upper right or upper left quadrant. When you execute the lock, experiment with aiming the energy (1) no place in particular but at angle of convenience, (2) aiming it at uke's center line and (3) aiming it at the opposite quadrant which would be towards the opposite leg.

The exercise is as much mental as physical. Try it and post your results.

Another use would be in striking. Strike points in opposite quadrants. One of my personal favorites is LI 18 on one side and Lv 14 or 13 on the other. Go easy at first and be sure, if you are not going easy, that someone is around with good revival skills. To me, this one feels like a bolt of electricity in my gut. It would incapacitate me for a moment and give my opponent a clear edge for the next tempo.

Play and report on your own ideas.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: quadrants - 07/31/06 01:29 PM

Oh quardrents... now they are fun. Especially once you start spiralling through the quadrents! Oh and quadrents within quadrents is even more of a hoot. Extending the quadrents is the most fun to be had of all IMHO though. Gotta go training now, but I'll give you all some fun things to do with thinking in quadrents tomorrow! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... pain!
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: quadrants - 07/31/06 10:16 PM

MMMMMM.... pressure points...

While my moniker is "Wristtwister"... the people in the Aikido community call me "Dr. Pain"....

No wonder we get along...

Posted by: Gavin

Re: quadrants - 08/01/06 07:18 AM

Quote:

No wonder we get along...

Hokay, fun with quadrents! I'm going to take a slightly different route than Underdog and explain it without PP's (shock horror!) and then you can stick the points in where you like.

Quadrent theory IMHO is a packaged way of looking at Yin and Yang, or the theory of oppisites. Take a front view of the body then stick a vertical line straight down the middle splitting the body in half, dividing it into left and right. Now draw a horizontal line across the body spliting into upper and lower. Now you've got four quadrants, so let's number them:

Q1 = Upper Right
Q2 = Upper Left
Q3 = Lower Right
Q4 = Lower Left.

Cool. Now stick a line straight down the middle of the body dividing it into front and rear. This will take us to 8 quadrants 1-4 listed above are now at the front and the others will be numbered as followed and be at the rear:

Q5 = Upper Right Rear
Q6 = Upper Left Rear
Q7 = Lower Right Rear
Q8 = Lower Left Rear

Still with me? Hopefully, lets play. The classic way of demonstrating this is to use nikkyo/centre lock/s-lock. Apply Nikkyo to your training partner's right hand and twist their wrist into Q1. You'll probably get a mild reaction. Now try twisting it into Q2. A bit better? Now try Q3... things more painful. By the time you get to Q4 your partner should be hugging your ankles. Cool huh?

Now lets work the rear quadrants. First Q5. You need to focus your intent and really try and push their wrist into Q5 (basically through their back) - be careful with the rear quadrants as they bite quickly!. Now do the same with the other quadrants, by the time you get to Q8 your partner should be falling backwards to the left very quickly and with very little effort!

Hokay, some more fun. If you've still got a training partner willing to play lets have some fun with figure 8 movements. Apply nikkyo and push into Q1, then into Q2, down to Q3, across to Q4 and then back to Q1 to start the figure 8 again. DO THIS SLOWLY! This done properly bites like a mofo and remember you're only using the front 4 quadrants! Doing the same with the rear quadrants hurts even more! All we are doing here is using a simply vertical figure 8 motion through 4 quadrants. Now try the same using a horizontal figure 8!

Start off with nikkyo into Q1, now cycle back into Q5, now into Q2, Q6 and back to Q1. Basically you are moving the lock through 4 quadrants on a horizontal plain. Try it working the figure 8 in Q3, Q7, Q4 and Q8. Now if you combining the figure 8 on both the horizontal and vertical plains you'll be getting some brilliant results with minimal effort.

The quadrant theory can be applied using sttriking, choking, throwing, PP and anything else you care to think you. Moving through the quadrants allows you to exert force over the body in directions that are extremely hard for the body's structure to withstand. If you're dealing with the left side, simply mirror the quadrants so Q1 is now on in the front upper left and Q8 is in the lower right rear. Have a play and if you have any questions just ask!

Hope that made sense???

Gav
Posted by: underdog

Re: quadrants - 08/01/06 08:31 AM

Quadrants is also an interesting phenomenon in countering techniques. Experimenting with energy this weekend at a Kyusho camp, (The particular exercise was not aggressive or self defense- it involved mutually cooperating partners exploring energetics) I applied the wrist technique to uke who countered with light pressure on my elbow interupting flow of energy. After I got through laughing, I touched his L9 with my foot on his opposite quadrant and then had no problem getting him to tap out. Then he laughed. Obviously, this has little fighting value, but the more you understand about energy, the more you can select for your own purposes.

Take the short explanation or the long one to the dojo which ever, but go out and play.

Oh wristtwister- Gary Boaz was at the camp. He is our Aikido guy hailing from Topeika Kansas. I asked him about Yonkyu. You had actually explained it well on your posts, I just didn't feel I had it right until I had a hands on explanation. I had some applications for it already and he gave me some more and helped me with it. Yes- it is a good alternative for a lock. Now I have to go back and find and read that old thread.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: quadrants - 08/01/06 07:21 PM

Underdog,
glad Yonkyo worked out for you. If you have "applications" for it frequently, I'd teach you something else about it.

Try this on for size... standing facing an attacker, let them punch and do a "knife hand block" at the wrist, cupping the hand slightly. Once you move their punch off-line, let your hand fall onto the top of their wrist, using the pressure of the phalangel knuckle of the forefinger for pressure drive their elbow straight back so that the arm rises. That motion will be rather circular. Quickly step and turn facing the same direction as the attacker, and switch hands with your grip, which will place that knuckle directly on the centerline of the underside of the wrist... then "yonkyo" a bit and watch their face bounce off the mat.

Details...
Knife hand block to outside of their wrist toward their body centerline.
Open your "receiving hand" to make the switch, and simply place their wrist in your hand as you're turning.
Point straight down with your knuckle.
Smile at them when they spit out the mats...

Enjoy...