Are their any PP that dont cause pain?

Posted by: Morthica

Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 07/21/06 11:14 PM

Hi, i am called Matt i leave NorthWest England and i am 15. I have just started to read up on PP's, i have looked at all the PP maps that i could find and i must say that some of them are extreme but any way, as being built as i am i tend to draw alot of attention that normally results in me getting hurt.
So i just wonted to ask a few questions that if you could possibly answer i would be immensely greatful.

1. Are their any PP that result in unvolountary muscle rexaling/spasms/tensing. But that do not cause any damage exept minor/moderate pain.
2. Are their are PP that result in a pleasure effect.

I am asking the first question because i have had a knife been pulled on me once or twice and if i could get thme to drop it, well that would help. Or even their arms tensing up but then again anything would help.
I am asking the second question because well i am 15...
Posted by: underdog

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 07/22/06 08:01 AM

What you get out of the pressure points depends on your intent, and how you apply them. To effect an escape for self defense from a school mate that you don't want to hurt, or to effect a take-down so you can get away, can be done with pressure point assistance to your skills. Your story sounds freightening. In addition to discussing your self defense needs with your instructor, I certainly hope you have involved your parents and the police.

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 07/22/06 11:05 AM

Yes i am asking for self defence, i am not the kind of person that likes to cause pain to other people, i would rather disable some one so i can get away then rather disable them and cause high amounts of pain.
And yes i have told my parents.

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 07/22/06 12:09 PM

OK then, let us look at a single point for you to play with and try in your dojo. Work it from the scenarios I suggest. Then I'll give you another one to experiment with. Experiment and report. Remember that by working a SINGLE point for practice, this is always in conjunction with otherwise good technique! The PP is not magic and will not work without technique.

You are in a standing grapple in close. You and uke are pushing and pulling each other back and forth trying to knock each other down while your hands are on each others shoulders and arms.

(1) Take your thumb over the inside mental foramen of uke's chin. Push it in and down to unlock his neck and make him turn his head. For reference, let us say you did this with your right hand to the right side of his chin.

(2) Then step in close on his right side. With your left hand, grab his belt rolling it over your fist so you can dig into UB 23 or GB 25.

(3) Sweep his right leg with your right leg calf to calf while pivoting toward your own left on your axis.

Uke should go down pretty easily. You shall have used the pressure points, primarily mental foramen, to destabilize uke's posture and stance. You can take him down hard or gently. Your choice! Try it.

Now here is your homework to experiment with for the same mental foramen point. http://www.gwc.maricopa.edu/class/bio201/skull/antskul.htm

On this diagram, the left foramen is clearly visible. Click on the hole and the answer should come up for you in the space. After you find it on the diagram, poke around on your own chin until you are sure you can feel the hole.

Uke has you mounted on the ground. You are face to face. You want to roll him off towards the side. His head is in close or medium close, but close enough for you to be able to reach his head points. Use mental foramen right hand to right side of chin or left to left while trapping the other arm or whatever you decide. Figure it out. How are you going to get him off you using this pressure point to assist you maneuver?

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 07/22/06 04:48 PM

I can find the mental foramen with ease, i can find the GB 25 with ease but i am finding it hard to find the UB 23, do you no of any maps that show where abouts it is?

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 07/22/06 05:15 PM

http://acuxo.com/meridianPictures.asp?point=BL23&meridian=Bladder

Here is the point. How are you doing?

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 07/23/06 09:13 AM

It is coming on well, i can do what you told me so far, i am using GB 25 instead of UB 23 though.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 07/24/06 04:18 PM

It is way beyond an explanation over the internet. To disable someone wielding a blade in any type of art takes years of practice and self confidence. Trying to give self defense pointers is one thing but explaining knife disarm is a hands on and lots of active training. One other point, if someone pulls a knife on you your going to have to get over your problem about hurting your attacker, it's a do or die thing son... wake up.

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 07/24/06 06:30 PM

I don't think we are talking about the same thing but as far as the domain of what YOU are talking about, you are right. Martial arts proficiency and self defense take years of practice and life and death situations require deadly force.

The part I don't get is what is your objection to giving basic information to newbies and trying in good faith to answer questions.

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 07/24/06 09:05 PM

I dont have a problem with causing pain, i just dont like doing it. I can do it if i need to.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 07/25/06 10:39 AM

Because it's a hands on type of training, to try and explain it over the internet is very difficult. Why don't you check out some of the free video clips that are floating around. If your going to practice edged weapons self defense you could check out this website too...

www.againsttheedge.com

Here are some Judo & Hapkido video's that might interest you as well...

http://www.judoinfo.com/katakime.htm

http://www.hapki.co.uk/galleryvid.asp

http://hapkido.netro.com.au/index_files/Technique.htm

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 07/25/06 05:51 PM

Good collection of clips. Thanks. This is the pressure point forum. Where is the pressure point connection? Do you have a couple of favorites that you'd like to explain from the pressure point perspective?
Posted by: Hash

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 11/18/06 11:52 PM

learn fa-jing and then slap people in the face.

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 11/19/06 05:03 PM

Thank you Bruce Lee. Again, this is the pressure point forum. Fa-Jing is cool but what face points are you going to hit? For striking purposes, with nothing showey or calling for targeting things that are going to be hard to find, I recommend having something for each plane of the face so that no matter how you are oriented, there will be something you can target at the correct angle and direction and that is easy to find. Here is a list of my favorites that meet this criteria: Mental foramen, St 5, TW 17, GB 20, SI 18, both UB 2 with Yintang be careful with this one as it could break the nose, and TW 23 together with Gb 1.

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 11/19/06 07:54 PM

the mind point is a nice one when it comes to slapping, located at the corner of the jawbone.

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 11/20/06 08:31 AM

This is a good example of how the use of standard nomenclature can improve your communications in this domain. When you say "corner of the jaw", I'm sure that meant something very specific to you. It didn't to me. I looked up the translations for the meanings of the points TW 17 and ST 6 to see if either of them were the "mind point" and neither were. So now we are back in your court. Let's discuss "mind point". First, you need to look up what it's meridian name and number are or it's Chinese name so that other people will understand what you are talking about. There are several good accupuncture point maps on line noted on this forum.

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 11/21/06 03:35 AM

Quote:

This is a good example of how the use of standard nomenclature can improve your communications in this domain

^^ lol?

The Mind point is an 'extra point'. That means it lies off any known meridian. The chinese name is Qianzhen. It's located at the back corner of the jaw, near ST 6. It's a classic target, and a relatively well known point.

A light slap here using fa-jing is quite stunning. Obvious knockout with a hard strike.

I suggested the face slap because it's a good fight stopper/preventer with no lasting damage (unless you give the dude a concussion or something)

Re: Are their any PP that dont cause pain? - 11/21/06 08:09 AM

OK I found it. Thanks for the name. Yes I'm sure I hit it together with St 6 much of the time. Yes I like a slap there. I also like the back of the palm (without the knuckles). That gives you a choice of polarity, which doesn't matter in motion anyway. It also lets me choose which is more comfortable so that my strikes flow better. By the way, my text translates the name as "Pull Uprightness" (Qdex) Nice and light works well.