PP of the week: Gb 19

Posted by: John45

PP of the week: Gb 19 - 07/03/06 08:43 AM

Hi,

I look in on the forum whenever I get a chance.
I have been working on GB19 lately (just above the infamous GB20).
If this point has never been covered by Gavin or, any other member I would be happy to ramble on a bit about it.

Best wishes,
John
Posted by: underdog

PP of the week: GB 19 - 07/03/06 01:24 PM

Go for it! Gb 19: http://acuxo.com/meridianPictures.asp?point=GB19&meridian=Gall%20Bladder

Re: PP of the week: Gb 19 - 07/06/06 08:04 AM

Firstly sorry for taking a while to post again.......the joys of a hectic lifetstyle.....I guess.
Nothing to do with being a lazy git.............

I will just outline my thoughts and ramblings.

I personally work on the principle that if it ever "kicks off" we will only be left with just our reflexes and trained reactions, that is unless you have vast experience in physical confrontations and your comfort zone for confrontation is somewhere up there with Gengis Khan.
Therefore it makes sense to train (and hopefully use)techniques that embrace our reflexes...only my opinion.

GB 19 (for me anyway) is a wonderful point useful for a "rugby tackle" type confrontation.

Firstly though...........and please bear with me here,
Imagine you have a wasp suddenly appear on your chest.....

What is your immediate reflex........

Pushing down and away....You certainly don't try and gently manipulate its wings into submission !!!!

Hold this thought about pushing down as a reflex.
Now think how many times you have ever bounced a ball.

So, we now have a trained up and down hand movement along with a relfex doing exactly the same movement.

Sorry.....I said I could ramble on.

The point is situated right above GB 20..........thanks for posting the link Underdog, GB 19, responds to a strike from a different direction.

Now if your partner goes to rugny tackle your waist or, groin......
Just drop down your open hand, nearest his head (and bodyweight) onto the point (well 2 or 3 strikes works for me......but then that is just me).

As he drops a little (or, a lot) you can spin your weight round right onto GB 20 with your other arm (one furthest away)at the right angle of attacke...but that is now getting carried away.

If I have managed to confuse........and believe me, that is NOT uncommon, just let me know and I will try and explain.

One last thought........
In this scenario......his head is the one "constant target" as it is pushing against your body.

Oh....if anyone suffers migraines or, bad headaches........please do not train this technique with them.

Some of us ended up with lovely headaches for a day or, so after training this.
Posted by: exceptionist 2

Re: PP of the week: Gb 19 - 07/06/06 08:09 AM

Why not add in a nice downward hammerfist into the ever elusive cv17? Be a nice finisher...for you that is, as for the opp...well . I'm so bad.

Re: PP of the week: Gb 19 - 07/07/06 03:07 AM

Now I am confused.....which is not hard for me......

at my age....

but, isn't CV 17 at the front of the body.......I think.

See I thought I would confuse people !!!
Posted by: underdog

Re: PP of the week: Gb 19 - 07/07/06 11:11 AM

CV 17 is between the nipples on the sternum. It is the Mu point for Pericardium meridian and a dangerous point to play with due to its direct effect on cardiac rhythm. If uke is buckled over from the attack to GB 19, maybe an upper cut or knee would get it?

If you want to hold Uke's head bent over for knee strikes, the line joining ear to ear across Gb 19s held with the forearm and bent wrist works MUCH better than holding the back of the neck which is easily resisted. For additional support, I approach from the side at about 45 degrees from the front. I have my inside hand under Uke's arm pit and then grab his gi up behind his neck. My outside forearm and hand then hook around the back of the head ear to ear across the Gb 19s. The direction of my pull is down and forward for good control. Then I can knee the front of the head, or chest all I want.

Re: PP of the week: Gb 19 - 07/08/06 05:14 AM

I must be honest.....I tend to take the view (and it is only my personal opinion) that while I am trying to control someone I run the risk of a grapple devleoping when I could have hit him a few more times, especially when you consider just how dynamic and "fast" a real confrontation actually is.
For me....I train to "wallop" on the GB19 point with my bodyweight dropping down as wll, then spin my body round as the other forearm thuds into his GB20 and then if he is still standing my other hand (the one that origianally hit GB19) whacks into the side of his face, neck, throat or, whatever is in the way.....

I really don't train too much for restraining (locks) unless, working with students who need them for work....those that are lucky enough to "work with the general public".