PP of the week: St 12

Posted by: underdog

PP of the week: St 12 - 06/17/06 04:47 PM

http://acuxo.com/meridianPictures.asp?point=ST12&meridian=Stomach

This is a Yang meridian, earth point. For this meridian, generally the angle of attack is down. Generally, you can expect uke will buckle and go down for you. If you are combining with other points, the complimentary Yin meridian is Spleen.

Method of attack: I like to dig into it with my fingers. K 27 with the thumb and fingers hooked down into St 12 works nicely. If you get Kidney, you can feel it in the lungs. Even if you don't, if you dig deeply, you should feel this in the brachial plexus. That will tingle in the effected side's arm. I can also dig in with my chin in those close encounters when I don't have a hand free. This works for me because I am smaller than most men.

Uke will generally buckle his knees and shrink his chin towards the attack. This means that he is giving you the opposite side of the neck for a follow up strike. Take it. That is the beauty of PP attacks. It gives you some stereotyped reflexive kinds of responses that since you know they are coming, you can exploit.

I personally don't care for it as a hit point. But it does set up hits to the opposite side of neck and head. It also sets up leg attacks. Consider the effect on a grab attack. Uke wants to defend his neck. If his hands are busy grabbing you, he may be pursuaded to let go and defend his neck. If you work in health care like me, or otherwise depending on who the attacker is, choking him to death might not be the ideal response.

Instead of elaborating on techniques more than I have, let me present a few scenarios. If this point is new to you, play with it. Check out these scenarios and report your results.

#1: Try it when uke is choking you in midrange or close (his elbows bent) with both of you standing. What is his response and what do you do next?

#2: Try it defending from a front choke where you are mounted.

#3: From a wide right hook (or wide knife attack) charge in, block, wrap the arm, hook St 12 and experiment with the leg sweep(s).

#4: Add it to any wrist joint lock that you are having a problem with.

#5: Play and report your own scenario.
Posted by: Kosh

Re: PP of the week: St 12 - 06/19/06 09:39 AM

I like this point, I haven`t worked on it much though. Will try the techniques you gave Underdog, as soon as school is over, and I find a partner.
I`d just like to add that I think this point is also connected to the heart (or was that St 11?).

Posted by: Demonologist437

Re: PP of the week: St 12 - 06/23/06 01:43 AM

Actually, it's a Triple-Yang crossing on the upper body.

The three Yong merdians on the arm(Triple-warmer, Large Instestine, Small intestine) all run through ST-12, so activating that would give you each element of the four merdidans running through St-12, plus if a diurnnal KO is your intent, activating ST-12 will give you all the points on the arm for diurnnal as well.

Heck, find a way to kick spleen and you have a 3-point diurnnal technqiue right there, just off of two points.

Intersting idea coming off the choke, but I must try it.

Personally, I like fingers and/or neck-turning+Conception 24 for chokes, as I don't like to just let their hands off the hook. Also, couldn't the muscle roll over ST-12 if their arms are extended and tight, kind of like when they grab the lapell?
Posted by: underdog

Re: PP of the week: St 12 - 06/23/06 05:38 PM

I hadn't considered it against arms that are extended and tight in a front choke, probably because I wouldn't be able to reach St12 from that defense anyway. Against extended arms, I would kick or attack the hands then arms. Things look different when you are smaller than the aggressor.
Posted by: Homura

Re: PP of the week: St 12 - 07/02/06 06:07 PM

hi guys im new and tryin to learn bout pp's.
Does any1 here know bit of swords.