Accuracy when using pressure points... part two...

Posted by: wristtwister

Accuracy when using pressure points... part two... - 06/09/06 10:18 PM

Guys, I went back to the old thread on this, and wanted to stretch it out a bit, but hate to "answer myself" on the board.

One of the questions I have with the newer pressure point people is "what weapons do you use to hit pressure points?"
From day one in my training, I was taught to use the bone potrusion on the outside of my wrist to hit "fleshy" pressure points, and different fist structures for others. Just was interested to see how others were trained.

Posted by: eyrie

Re: Accuracy when using pressure points... part tw - 06/10/06 12:07 AM

Ditto. Certain anatomical weapons "fit" nicely into certain cavities...
Posted by: Paulol

Re: Accuracy when using pressure points... part two... - 06/13/06 05:54 AM

thats pretty much what i do also!

though it's always good to mess about with things and see what happens! you might find out something new??
Posted by: underdog

Re: Accuracy when using pressure points... part two... - 06/13/06 06:50 PM

When first learning a point, I might practice that way. Our approach invites a lot of experimentation within safe parameters. We wouldn't, for example, encourage people to experiment with sound and stances and the whole menu if the person didn't know the revivals and the basic material earlier in the curriculum. Safety needs to come first.

After the initial experimentation with a point, we play with different entries, different weapons. As you could expect, no little boney protrusion in my wrists is going to make much of a penetration in the flesh of a 250 lb male. The basic heart revival that we are taught, just for example, uses exactly that kind of a strike to UB 15 on the right side of the back. Master Gary Rooks taught me an alternative that works for me. I use the flat part of my fist making contact with the proximal phalanges and twisting. Since I have never done this actually on someone who's heart has really stopped, let me define "works" as striking in a way in which uke reports that he feels a bolt of electricity going through his chest.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Accuracy when using pressure points... part two... - 06/13/06 09:42 PM

Okay, we all seem to be on the same page there, how about using the bone potrusion opposite that one at the base of the palm opposite your thumb? It's great for attacking the top of the wrists and arms, and hitting points that are in places where a slap will hide the actual hit to a "hot" point. It's also great for a "smash and grab" on the wrist, where you hammer the thumb side of the wrist and then grab to do sankyo or shiho nage.

It's always good to have someone's attention when you do your technique on them...

Posted by: Demonologist437

Re: Accuracy when using pressure points... part two... - 06/23/06 01:44 AM

Learn the 3/4 twist punch as well. That last "twist" at the end of it enables your punch to be able to activate almost every point on the human body available to you, so it could certainly help.