accupressure

Posted by: JoelM

accupressure - 06/05/06 12:08 AM

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do...000cfe793cd____

Quote:

There's no switch you can flip to turn off back pain, but there may be an "off" button. Acupressure is more effective than physical therapy at relieving back pain, according to a recent study in the British Medical Journal. After assigning 129 back-pain sufferers to six sessions of either acupressure or physical therapy, researchers determined that, while both treatments provided similar short-term pain relief, those given the finger had 89 percent less pain after 6 months than the people treated with physical therapy.

The secret? Acupressure may help ease the ache by increasing bloodflow to the affected area, releasing endorphins -- the body's natural pain relievers -- and relaxing tense muscle tissue. To find a qualified acupressurist in your town, go to nccaom.org/find.htm and search for someone certified in Asian bodywork therapy.

here's the study:
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/f...ourcetype=HWCIT
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: accupressure - 06/05/06 01:52 AM

not to be a pain in the backside, but different places have differing results...coincidently, {wink-wink}, massage therepy places show better results than accupressure.
http://www.massagemag.com/Magazine/2001/issue93/research93.php
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/32/1728_80700.htm
etc, etc
lots of studies.

it always begins as the same claim from both sides: "In a new study...our way is better than theirs."

honestly, I'd say it's a wash...I wouldn't mind either treatment to tell you the truth - since both do about the same thing.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: accupressure - 06/05/06 10:27 AM

For one, the article you reference compares massage to acupuncture, not acupressure. While not an expert on the topics, I would say there is a difference in the two treatments.

For two, the study I referenced did not compare massage to accupressure, so they have no results there.

Thirdly, I doubt that you'd find the British Medical Journal being a biased body and stating that accupressure is "their way".

I thought it was an interesting article and related somewhat to the current discussion and the board in general.

And lastly, I have no doubt that you think it is a wash.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: accupressure - 06/05/06 10:38 AM

I would definately say acupuncture and acupressure to be different animals. One involves stick tiny bits of metal in you and the other is done by applying pressure without invasive penatration. I've had both and found them both beneficial.

Here is an article about shiatsu/acupressure which has details of a few studies down the bottom and also a very good description of what Shiatsu is... just to give Ed something to disagree with!

Re: accupressure - 06/05/06 12:00 PM

oops my bad. you are right.

I'm not trying to be the bad guy in this one...I think all massage therepy is a wonderful thing. and I'll leave it at that. sorry again for the mix-up of terms.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: accupressure - 06/05/06 08:14 PM

Ed,
you just let your skepticism roll from thread to thread. I agree with the premise that massage is healthy and it makes you feel better, but the techniques of accupressure are something that work tremendously well for treating impact injuries. There's no telling how many people I've worked on in Judo classes and Aikido classes who had impact injuries from being slammed on the mats and having their muscles knotted up from impact.

The trigger points in the muscles work like a champ, and you can help releive a lot of stress with them. While I attribute them to being closer to massage than TCM, I'm sure that they're in the TCM process somewhere as well.

Since you're skeptical in nature, try finding a Danzan Ryu jujitsu school and asking them for a "therapeutic massage". Part of their particular training for black belt involves a long course in that, to learn the meridians and control points in the body, and any Danzan Ryu black belt should be able to give you a massage you won't forget.

But as for the accupressure question, I can promise you that it works... and I don't even know the point names somethimes that work there... you find them as you treat the muscles, but they're always in the same general areas as those nasty acupuncture points you rail against.

Posted by: eyrie

Re: accupressure - 06/05/06 08:48 PM

Accupressure is just a name for a method. Ida Rolf came up with her own system and just about the same conclusions.

Certain points on the body work as access points to "release" the myofascial structures, causing the muscles to relax or stretch back into a "normal" state.

When we hold our bodies under tension and stress, either because of emotional, mental or physical duress, pain manifests in some shape or form. One affects the other and it's all inter-related.

I spoke to a Rolfer once, and he mentioned that a lot of the work he does is support the access points for myofascial release and simply allowing gravity to do its work. Often as a result of the physical tension release, the client will experience a similar emotional release.

You know, none of this is mystical BS. It just is. Get over it.

Re: accupressure - 06/05/06 09:03 PM

I made a mistake in terms and appologized for it.

"I think all massage therepy is a wonderful thing."

where are the sceptic, BS, or mystic accusations in that statement?

accupressure, shiatsu, swedish massage, and the like have real benefit. I'd even recommend to try one. I took a few nice long shiatsu's in Japan - very satisfying.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: accupressure - 06/05/06 09:15 PM

I was just pokin' at ya...

Re: accupressure - 06/05/06 09:57 PM

Yes, Ed, and the reason it works is....????

I guess that's what you're trying to get at???

Re: accupressure - 06/05/06 10:50 PM

the reason why it works is a reason I'm not qualified (or welcome) to give opinion.

A question is, are we rubbing the muscle where the pain is (basic), the nerve that interacts with it(advanced), or are we rubbing an energy source flowing thru our body(Chi) ? if it's a combo of all, then are the results the same with or without thinking in terms of Chi?

personally, thats the kinds of questions I'd like to read. but if thats boring and we want a 'who cares, it works' view, we can skip it.

I've only asked questions. I'm careful not to state opinion since I am not qualified, and it will be pointed out as such.

p.s. did I mention I'm not qualified to answer my own question? hence me asking it.

Re: accupressure - 06/05/06 11:36 PM

In truth, no one is... in fact, the Chinese medical fraternity is presently reinterpreting the internal medicine classics in light of western scientific advances and understanding. So really, not even they are qualified to say.

Personally, I think the Rolfers have got a much better idea, albeit a small part of the picture.

But the undeniable fact remains, how did the ancients know about these things, even if their explanation is unintelligible? And I'm not talking about just the Chinese...

Re: accupressure - 06/06/06 12:11 AM

wait, TCM (minus the 'T') is being updated based on western scientific advances ? thats very interesting news. wonder why they felt the need to do so.

Re: accupressure - 06/06/06 12:21 AM

I give up Ed... you've obviously got a bee in your bonnet about TCM or something... good luck.

I'm not going to say any more if you insist on twisting things out of context.

Re: accupressure - 06/06/06 12:26 AM

?? you wrote:
Quote:

the Chinese medical fraternity is presently reinterpreting the internal medicine classics in light of western scientific advances and understanding

what else could that mean?

not only can I not have an opinion since I'm unqualified, but now I can't ask questions either?

Re: accupressure - 06/06/06 05:25 AM

Ed you have plenty of opinions that you continue to air!

This thread is about acupressure... keep it on topic guys or I'll lock it. I started the MWM Vs. TCM for specifically this kind of debate. Thrash it out there.

Eyrie and WT... I'd be interested in your opinion on that article I linked to TCM Vs MWM thread. Let's take the discussion under that thread and see where we can take it.

Re: accupressure - 06/06/06 07:10 AM

here is my opinion: you guys are all hypersensitive. relax.

true or false?
Quote:

the Chinese medical fraternity is presently reinterpreting the internal medicine classics in light of western scientific advances and understanding.

would that also include oher TCM's? like accupressure?

Re: accupressure - 06/06/06 07:46 AM

I've posted that quote in the TCM Vs. MWM thread as the answer relates to TCM as a whole and is also relevant to the article I posted aswell. Let's take the discussion there, please.