PP for grappling control

Posted by: underdog

PP for grappling control - 05/24/06 09:48 AM

We've talked recently about pressure points for tuite, and pressure points for hitting. They are good for grappling also. I had a situation a week ago where a patient was violent and we had to control him on the floor until we could get him into ambulatory restraints and move him to a restraint bed. He has AIDS and Hep C and was trying to bite and spit while being held on the floor. There were many staff people involved in this, as is necessary because in a hospital, we can't use a lot of joint locks and things and staff are generally not martial artists and their training is limited and different.

My "job" on all this was to keep control of his head so that he could not bite or spit. I kept his head turned to the opposite direction from where staff were working by holding SI 18 into the zygomatic arch where there is a little notch under the corner of the eye. I had him mounted with me low. Can't use downward pressure on the torso because of the risk of postural asphyxiation. That worked well. I almost lost control of his head when I wanted to turn his head the other way. I debriefed after with my coach. We reenacted the situation to see how I could have turned the head more easily without disengaging at all. We decided St 3 on the front of the head, level with the bottom of the nares and under the middle of the eye would have worked. Then, by rolling pressure from my palm from SI 18 over to St 3 I could have kept control of the head in this very dangerous situation. Fortunately, no one got bitten or spat upon.

So, since we all learn from each other, I thought I'd open up a thread on grappling. What are your favorite control or grappling points? How have you used them and with what effect?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: PP for grappling control - 05/24/06 12:43 PM

Gah! I'm just glad you are OK and no one got hurt. Sounds like what you did worked well enough!
Posted by: underdog

Re: PP for grappling control - 05/25/06 10:10 AM

Oh yes, I'm OK thanks. I actually use my MA training and my kyusho in particular, fairly often. I like to post because some people think PP are only working if you are getting the very dramatic effects one would see show cased at a conference by folks whose skill level most of us don't even dream about.

The truth is that PP are easily effective, in motion, and in real life which is always in motion and unrehearsed. If an underdog like me can use them, then anyone can. I trusted them in a very dangerous situation. What ever your technique is that you are learning, it can probably be executed even better with attention to PP detail.

So who else has ever used pressure points in a grappling situation?