Paralyzing Points?

Posted by: Eveal

Paralyzing Points? - 02/07/06 07:03 AM

Hey everyone,

I am curious what do you think of paralyzing "PPs". Do you think they are real or no. I was told one time by someone that pressure points were used to transport fish. They said that an acupuncturist would actually place a needle on a certain point of a fish to paralyze it to be able to carry more in a container of water. How much truth do you think is involve in this statement.
Posted by: Paulol

Re: Paralyzing Points? - 02/07/06 07:40 AM

sounds fishy to me
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Paralyzing Points? - 02/07/06 08:02 AM

Quote:

sounds fishy to me

Paulol that was bloody awful, so bad it was bordering on offensive!!!!! I think I'm going to add something about poor jokes in the rules section! Jeez!

Righty, that story does seem a bit fishy to me (DOH!!!! ). They are plenty of points on the body that will cause local paralysis to parts of the body, Gall Bladder 31 for example...the good ol' dead leg. I've never heard of any that will cause complete paralysis of the entire point. I suppose along the Governor Vessel there are certain points that due to their location along the spine, could in theory cause complete paralysis of the body if the vertabrae were damaged. However this would be done due to structual damage to the spinal cord as opposed to a PP strike.

Gav
Posted by: Eveal

Re: Paralyzing Points? - 02/07/06 08:11 AM

Hey Gavin,

Thanks man. I am very impressed with your dedication to the pressure points. It is something that my instructor has been trained in also and I have had a few KOs done on myself. So I know first hand that they work. Keep up the work and the Point of the Week is giving me more things to add to my arsenal so keep it up also!

Re: Paralyzing Points? - 02/07/06 09:09 AM

Eveal,

Thanks for the praise mate and I'm glad my ramblings are making sense to someone. Unfortunately due to studies, training, teaching and work, I'm not getting as much time to put as much stuff down as I like. Thing to remember with the PP's is that first and foremost they are just points of the body that make you go "Ouch, s~~t that hurt!"....I've spent ages and ages poking around my own PP's and other peoples just trying to find out the best ways to work them. Books, DVD's and courses have served to give me new places to poke. Thats about where I'm at with, I'm just starting to venture into the TCM side of things (from a healing point of view) and have vaguely looked at the Kyusho side of things. Hopefully this is the sort of thing that I'll be able to go a lot deeper into with Russell at some point, but at the mo I busy with other aspects of his vast knowledge.

But, basically get poking around and you'll probably find more Ouchy places than I could ever list!!!

Gav
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: Paralyzing Points? - 02/07/06 11:01 AM

While there are some points (like Gavin has already mentioned) that cause local paralysis (LI-9,10[Arm]; GB-31[Leg]) there are no points that will cause the person to be unable to move when struck. However, there are plenty of tuite (torite) applications that cause a paralytic effect called 'cross-extensor reflex action'. When one of these techniques is applied the uke is unable to move or attack during the response. The effect is much like what happens to crawdad's(crayfish's) pinchers when his back is squeezed.

-KM

Re: Paralyzing Points? - 02/07/06 11:25 AM

Return of the Kempomeister! Long time no hear dude!
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Paralyzing Points? - 02/11/06 08:12 PM

Just about all pressure points cause paralysis in the immediate area that was struck, and I am sure there are pressure points that will cause an overall paralysis of a human for a short period.

The story about paralysing fish is not true. If a fish stops moving through the water, it will die. Fish need to keep water moving past their gills in order to extract oxygen from the water. It would make more sense just to kill the fish by hitting it on the head then throwing it in a container. Paralzying it with a needle would only keep it alive for a few extra minutes and the time lost to needle a tankload of fish would not be worth the effort.
Posted by: underdog

Re: Paralyzing Points? - 03/04/06 10:09 AM

I agree. Fortunately there are less complicated ways via pressure points to get the advantage of paralysis. If you were attempting or seeking a moment of paralysis, then I think you are looking for a free time frame. A time frame is like a turn to move in a game. In fighting, you don't want to waist a time frame. You do want uke to waste or miss his. By stunning an opponent, you disorient and weaken him. He can't see clearly and may be off balance. That is easily achievable with pressure point strikes to the head and neck. You don't have to KO or paralyse someone, and you get your free time frame.
Posted by: Ashigaru

Re: Paralyzing Points? - 04/23/06 02:36 PM

Hi folks, I'm new to the site and currently studying jujitsu. You guys seem for the most part knowldegeable, resourcesful and friendly. (what? get on with it? ok)

Our grand master is very keen to teach basic pressure point work and he teaches something new every seminar we attend, it's interesting to say the least. as one other poster commented I find them effective for "putting the hurt on" in a friendly class with another student who can "take a few digs" (our club terminology).

My real question is this, I attended a Freestyle TKD club for a couple of years and one of our instructors used to use several points in the leg / arm for pain control, this was ineffectual as far as I was concerned (I think he was doing it wrong) but other people said they did feel the benefit.

Does anyone have any experience of this use of pressure points for this purpose and if so, are there any useful links you could suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Declan (Ireland)

Re: Paralyzing Points? - 04/23/06 05:36 PM

Look back to previous pages of this forum. Look for Gavin's Pressure Point of the Week entries. He does a great job of describing each of the PP that he covers and several applications. Read through the discussions, (most of them were brief threads. Then, and this is the IMPORTANT part... Take it to the mat! Print out Gavin's opening summary. Go to the mat with a few other curious people. Try everything he says for a point and try it on all your training partners. Let them try on you too. Experiment.

In order to make a pressure point work, you have to locate it exactly. Dillman suggests an area the size of a quarter US. Gavin gives pretty good directions on how to locate.

Then you need to hit correctly to deliver penetration through the point, not hard necessarily, it should be safe to practice, but with intent- relaxed intent. It if is a rub point or touch or squeeze point, that matters too. Pay attention to angle and direction too. Start with one point at a time.

Pick one. Post on it. Tell us what happened. There are a few pretty experienced people here who can help you out.
Posted by: N00bNinja

Re: Paralyzing Points? - 10/10/08 05:37 PM

i actually haven't been to a karate or taekwando school in a few years... but i was messing around with my friends and discovered that there's is a pressure point just bellow the soldier blade. apparently, because people are of different size, it is difficult to see exactly were the pressure point is, my one friend (somewhat weak, and younger than me) was paralyzed almost completely on his right side, and fell out of his seat my other friend, it paralyzed his arm, other people, it has no affect tho, probably because of them being of different size, the amount of time that they were paralyzed was very brief though, probably a max of 3 seconds, still very funny, and apparently, sence i was inexperienced at the time, (technically i still am) it caused no harm (not permanent anyways) but, i wouldn't recommend doing it, because i don't want to be sued XD
but it probably wouldn't help in a fight, even in self defense, because its on their back, but i just wanted to say, paralyzing is real, its just hard to do (in a fight) but i want to know more pressure points, if anyone knows any kind of simple website about any kind of pressure points like the one i listed, it would greatly help, and i learned this from experience (by that i mean messing around) and not from hours on the pc (wich im on all the time anyways ) sory for making this so long i just wanted u people to know about what i discovered (years ago actually) this is also my first post ever!
well im gona stop talking now, have to get back to tha marching band....
~cya

Re: Paralyzing Points? - 10/10/08 08:20 PM

http://www.rootdown.us/Points/PointMapPage.aspx

In addition to the sites posted at the beginning of this forum, this is my new favorite site.