PPs 'r' us team-Defending the shoot.

Posted by: McSensei

PPs 'r' us team-Defending the shoot. - 02/05/06 04:57 PM

I don't want this to turn into a row about standup Vs groundfighting. That is

However, I would like to know the efficacy of hitting the Bladder points that run along the edge of the spine if someone were to shoot in an attempted takedown.
Perhaps even attacking the spine itself?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: PPs 'r' us team-Defending the shoot. - 02/05/06 10:37 PM

It's been done without effect in several ufc's. It would be awful hard to get the right angle on the exact points during a fight in my opinion.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: PPs 'r' us team-Defending the shoot. - 02/06/06 06:14 AM

agreed, also the condition of the fighters has got to make pp effectivness less, surley, please tell me im right on this....................

Which of course brings in the subject of clothing for self defense, and a valid one in the winter,

tis all armour...................
Posted by: Gavin

Re: PPs 'r' us team-Defending the shoot. - 02/06/06 07:18 AM

There is a lot of PP guys that will say stuff like "Hammer fist down into GV3041 or elbow BL210062!" which is IMVHO opinion possible in theory but in reality is absolute codswallop. To get the right angle to deliver any power will put your centre of gravity in the exact place the person doing the shoot wants it to be. Both the Bladder and Governor Vessel are valid areas of attack, but just not against a shoot IMVHO. When these targets crop up in bunkai and SD is when the opponent has been stunned and hunched over (shot to the solar plexus or groin for example) that way you've then got a static target to deliver the power into. Like Jim said, the back has got a lot of "armour" to protect the sensitive areas...thus you need to be very accurate to deliver a successful strike.

When sprawling I guess you'd probably have good access to the points on the rear of the neck...GB20, BL10, GV15, etc.

Gav
Posted by: Russell_Stutely

Re: PPs 'r' us team-Defending the shoot. - 02/06/06 06:01 PM

Hi

When sprawling you are more concerned with not getting taken down than with a PP strike!

Please remember that PP's are the last 5% of what you do. They are not an answer for everything, thay are a small but effective part of an answer

Regards

Russell
Posted by: Gavin

Re: PPs 'r' us team-Defending the shoot. - 02/07/06 07:51 AM

Quote:

Please remember that PP's are the last 5% of what you do. They are not an answer for everything, thay are a small but effective part of an answer

Amen to that! PP's are merely the study of how to exploit the bodys weakness's, nothing more, nothing less. I covered this in a lot of detail here .

Gav
Posted by: underdog

Re: PPs 'r' us team-Defending the shoot. - 02/07/06 08:45 AM

I hope I'm on the right track. Sometimes I have a hard time visualizing these things. I'm more of a "show me" person. This is what works for me. If it works for me,it is what I was taught, it should work for anyone. I'm not that good.

When you sprawl, and uke comes in, fall kind of on him except that it is deliberate and you are in control. Take out all the UB points you want with your forearms. You are moving with him and you have pretty good control of what and where and how hard you are hitting from there. Uke goes flat down to the floor. Then spin 180 degrees and get the rear naked choke or if you have the gift of flexability, try for the torantulla. I can get the choke in practice.