Point of the Week - Spleen 10

Posted by: Gavin

Point of the Week - Spleen 10 - 10/19/05 10:43 AM

The idea of the Point of the Week posts is to stimulate discussion of the manipulation and application of a specific PP in actual combat. The PP's are workable within all MA systems and their study will greatly enhance the effectiveness of ALL arts. However, you must first have an advanced understanding of your art before you begin looking at PP's!

Here is a basic guide to PP attacks. Please pay close attention to the Safety section.

Spleen 10/SP10 or Xue Hai (Sea of Blood)

This weeks Point of the Week is Spleen 10 or SP10 for short. It is located on an Earth Meridian and is of Yin polarity according to TCM Theory. It is located just above the knee on the medial side of the leg here.

Striking

This is a great point, painful and extremely pratical. This point responds to dull heavy thudding impact directly into the centre of the leg and a 90 degree angle.

When struck the point causes extreme shock in the body and causes the leg to buckle outwards. Its great for disrupting an opponents body and opening body up for further attacks.

Due to the effect of the leg buckling outwards leaves the leg very vulnerable to further strikes and possible breakage. The effect on the body posture may also leave the other leg open to attack aswell.

Application

As always applications are always subjective and to be used as a basis to stimulate thought.

This is a point I have purposefully drilled, I think its an extremely effective point to be used in combat. It can be used in a pre-emptive manner using a short front kick into the point, using the tip of a shoe will be even more effective. You need to fire the kick off slightly off centre from your opponent to get the correct angle. Using a confusing fence type guard you could easily distract your opponent long enough to land the kick. Due to the deverstating effect this has on the body posture the leg that was attacked will buckle outward, dropping the hip back, bringing the head forwards. This exposes all of the points in the neck for a follow up strike. You could also use a low roundhouse in a similar manner.

As a secondary strike SP10 fits in lovely when the head has been taken backwards from a technique such as a palm heel or rising elbow. This will stretch the opponent out, bring the hips forward and straightening the legs. This will expose SP10 for a knee strike. To add to the damaging effect, if you managed to really buckle the leg, you could follow up by dropping a knee or driving the shin bone towards the floor through the leg making contact just below the medial part of the knee. This will completely destroy the leg.

When someone throws a high kick they will expose SP10 on the supporting leg making it an ideal target for a front kick or a low thai style round house. This will completely take out the supporting leg.
Posted by: underdog

Re: Point of the Week - Spleen 10 - 10/20/05 10:50 AM

I use this point mostly to attack the knee. I'll kick it from the front or from the side. Otherwise, I'll hit it with my shoulder tackling the leg from the side. For myself, I respect this point. I have bad knees. I am very careful when my ukes want to practice this point on me. I tap out early and fall fast. It is a potent point.

Re: Point of the Week - Spleen 10 - 10/20/05 11:30 AM

Good point about using the shoulder. I guess this SP10 could also be used in a similiar manner to which I mentioned on the ST32 thread, using the elbow when you've slipped or been knocked down.

Gav
Posted by: Shi Miao Zun

Re: Point of the Week - Spleen 10 - 10/27/05 08:19 AM

I am often mocked when i say that hands are usefull against the legs but anyway. For this point I feint high and then go for the point with the first knuckle of the index finger, (proximal interphalangeal joint of second phalanx). This finger as you may know is the wood finger, as wood controls earth in the ke (controling) cycle the effects are better with this finger used. It is best to support the finger using the thumb. This strike canbe used for example with the left hand against the left leg, dropping the body stretching the upper guard forward away from the body exposing Sp21, (exit point), in the seventh intercostal space on the left side, for a strike with the right hand index finger knuckle.

If you were really cunning though, if you managed to step on the big toe, Sp1, (entry point), you could use this combo to shut down the whole channel as you.

Splene controls muscle contraction and coordination so you can imagine what happens if this channel is shut down.

Kind regards,

Sam

Re: Point of the Week - Spleen 10 - 10/27/05 08:31 AM

Right Sam, I start these bloody posts....I reserve the right to hold the monoply on technical detail....I don't so much want feedback on them, but more praise and posts telling me how much I know! Please stop acting like such a know it all and stealing my limelight!!!!

Seriously, cheers for the info...I'll go away and digest!

Gav
Posted by: Shi Miao Zun

Re: Point of the Week - Spleen 10 - 10/27/05 09:59 AM

I am sure you know more than me about all this Gavin, I pick up alot of info from accupuncture, most of my fighting is based on other aspects of qi usage not PP. I am doing a degree in TCM and accupuncture so that helps and I also train sometimes with some guys from DKI who do know their stuff in terms of points, both of them being accupuncturists. Lets not go into NTKO which i have seen done but will not comment on at this stage.

Hope all is well, kind regards,

Sam

Re: Point of the Week - Spleen 10 - 10/27/05 10:36 AM

Quote:

am doing a degree in TCM and accupuncture

Cool! I'm studying for my Shiatsu diploma....its amazing how many MA's are taking the same route!

Gav