Pressure point practice makes you weaker?

Posted by: SANCHIN31

Pressure point practice makes you weaker? - 10/06/05 11:04 PM

I had a similar question like this before,but I can't find it now. Do you feel that striking the same points over and over can be doing unnecessary damage? Has this affected anyone on here negatively before? Is it necessary to perform knockout strikes often or at all?
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Pressure point practice makes you weaker? - 10/07/05 03:43 AM

Hi Sanchin,

As I've said in the past, I've been hitting the points hard for a good 9 years or so, since my late teens and I haven't had any limbs full off yet. I've been having regular Shiatsu treatments for about 6 months or so. During this time, myself and James have really been whapping them on hard. Part of the Shiatsu proccess of diagnosis is examining the flow and strength of the meridians, not once has she said, "Oh my god, your Gall Bladder meridian is so weak, you're about to die!". Last year I had an acupuncture session and didn't get any alarm bells either, in fact he's exacty words were "You're actually very healthy inspite of what you do.".

I think there are far more damaging things you can do to your body, smoking, drinking, poor eating and substance abuse. The effects of these influences are going to cause you far more long term damage from both an energetic and physical point of view. I will however recomend that everyone should have some form of regular TCM treatment, most poeple's energetic systems are in a pretty bad state, hard training and general daily living all create imbalances, Shiatsu, Acupressure or Acupuncture will all help correct these problems. Over the last six months of treatment, my general sense of well being has increased greatly. Currently in the UK, there are quite a lot of Shiatsu practitioners helping those recovering from cancer and apparently they are having great results in speeding up the recovery time. Could be well worth looking into mate.

With regards to the K.O's, I've already stated I'm against them. Most of the K.O's done are for demo's only, I've yet to see one that didn't require some form of fine motor skill against a willing person. I can demonstrate and convince people that the points would work without putting someone under, and in realistic conditions. The only time people should be asleep IMHO is when they are in bed. Having said that, some organisations have be banging each other out for years, and the only troubling condition this has lead to is the belief in NTKO's and Chi Balls! (sorry DKI ugys, love ya really!!!)

Gav
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: Pressure point practice makes you weaker? - 10/07/05 11:04 AM

An excellent answer Gavin. I might add two points.

1) For the most part a healthy individuals energetic system will rebalance itself. The system of EV's are for this purpose. Even after being KO'd most will return to full capacity without revival or restoration. There are exceptions, especially when sealing the strike but as a rule healthy people stay healthy.

That said, If you have a problem in the Gall Bladder and the energy is weakened by a KO or point work there may be a chance for some infection or other nasty to get in during the weakened state.

2) That in mind it is good for everyone who is doing point work to be performing a good balancing qigong. You can use the Five Element Qigong, Eight Piece Brocade or the Iron Cross Qigong that we experimented with over in the Energy Arts section.

Excellent question Sanchin

--KM
Posted by: underdog

Re: Pressure point practice makes you weaker? - 10/08/05 12:22 AM

I think my training keeps me healthy. Pressure points is just one part of my training. I can't see that it has done me any harm. On the contrary, while NOT doing pressure points, I have broken a rib, both wrists, thumbs three times total, toes I forgot how many times, and two teeth. In pressure point practice, people tend to hit with varying intensity, but always mindful about safety and healing.

As my school has grown up in pressure point training, it's mode of practice has changed. The original practitioners hit harder and did knock-outs fairly often. Now we are into more practice in motion, looking for body reactions without knock-outs and hitting lighter. For better or worse, this will always be something that separates the higher dans from the lower. I don't think our practice is likely to harm anyone compared to other martial arts practice. It certainly isn't going to make anyone weaker.
Posted by: Mike_L

Re: Pressure point practice makes you weaker? - 10/08/05 07:41 PM

I don't see how it could make you weaker unless you were puting excessive stress on your joints from repeating the same motion to hard on a hard object!
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Pressure point practice makes you weaker? - 10/09/05 03:49 PM

What I mean by weaker is hitting the same points for years makes the point easier too activate than others. Such as with "gulp" Dillmman students.
Posted by: underdog

Re: Pressure point practice makes you weaker? - 10/09/05 07:38 PM

I'd still say not so. What about the Wushu "iron shirt" training? People subject themselves to being repeatedly hit, or abusing their own bodies on the same points to develop an insensitivity. I surmise that using the theory of adaptive stress, the body maybe develops alternative neuro routes, local muscle, or other strategies for managing the repeated stress.