Point of the Week - Stomach 6

Posted by: Gavin

Point of the Week - Stomach 6 - 10/05/05 08:15 AM

The idea of the Point of the Week posts is to stimulate discussion of the manipulation and application of a specific PP in actual combat. The PP's are workable within all MA systems and their study will greatly enhance the effectiveness of ALL arts. However, you must first have an advanced understanding of your art before you begin looking at PP's!

Here is a basic guide to PP attacks. Please pay close attention to the Safety section.

Stomach 6/ST6 or Jia Che (Jaw Bone)

This weeks Point of the Week is Stomach 6 or ST6 for short. It is located on an Earth meridian and is of Yang polarity according to TCM theory. It is located along the jawline here.

Striking

This is the classic John Wayne slug point, but it actually responds best to a direct strike in at a 15 degree angle in towards the back of the skull. A quick (and painful) way to prove this is to use your thumb to dig into ST6. First press in hard at a 90 degree angle straight in, this will hurt if you get ST6 properly. Now push in at a 45 degree angle, this should hurt more. Finally push in at a 15 degree angle, that should be agony. You should feel a dull intense numbing pain if you get it right.

As see in most old westerns a hard short here will cause a K.O. Being hit on ST6 causes a shock to be sent through the entire body, great for stopping an opponent in their tracks.

A hard strike will also stand a good chance of dislocating or even breaking the jaw bone. Coming in at the correct angle on this point will also cause the head to turn up and away from the pain and where the head goes the body will follow!

This part of the body is also rife with other points, so a good strike here will more than likely fire up the other closely situated points also.

Applications

As always applications are always subjective and to be used as a basis to stimulate thought.

A vertical fist punch slots in lovely into this point and can be delivered very powerfully from a very short distance, making it great for close quarter punching. Slipping over the top of an opponents strike is also very effective to ST6. The Wing Chun style of punching is extremely well suited for this point.

Sharp palm heels and hard slaps are also a great way of attacking ST6. They make execellent pre-emptive strikes and can thrown very easily from a 'Fence' style guard. Slipping a short palm heel in from the fence is a great way of shocking the opponent and opening up the body for further attack.

This point is also a great shot for a head butt when in close, or as a follow up to a palm heel or slap. Used as a follow up to a previous attack will have an even greater effect due to the fact that ST6 is already fired up from the first shot.

As you felt with digging the thumb into ST6 pressing can be extremely painful. In a grappling situation using an elbow or forearm can create a lot of pain (and movement) if you rub into ST6. This can also be done in a standing clinch using the corner of the head to dig into the point. Using your hand to create a platform and clamping onto the back of the head will stop your opponent being able to escape the pain. This will allow room to follow up with a short sharp head butt.
Posted by: jamesd

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 6 - 10/05/05 09:50 AM

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the info! I also find that this particular area also reacts well to being rubbed, for eg: if you're in a clinch, you can clasp your attackers head (neck), and rub with your forehead into this area, by doing this you can create loads of pain especially if you're pulling him onto the rub, this will also create some space between you and your attacker allowing those short sharp headbutts to some into play, cheers,

James

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 6 - 10/05/05 10:48 AM

Quote:

I wrote: In a grappling situation using an elbow or forearm can create a lot of pain (and movement) if you rub into ST6. This can also be done in a standing clinch using the corner of the head to dig into the point.

Thought I'd covered the head rubbing here, obviously not well enough!

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 6 - 10/05/05 11:16 AM

Hi Gavin!

Oh Yeah! so you have! I must've skipped past that bit! sorry darling!

James

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 6 - 10/05/05 11:59 AM

Honey, I really don't think we should be so familiar online.....people might get the wrong idea!
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 6 - 10/05/05 04:24 PM

Is this the point that causes all the pain when squeezing with the forearm from a headlock.
If you are not sure what I mean, James will be happy to demonstrate.

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 6 - 10/05/05 05:54 PM

Gavin, are we talking about the same point that is supposed to be released when your compliant partner is tapping you? ouch!!!!!!!!!!

James

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 6 - 10/05/05 06:39 PM

James I've already apologised for that......I didn't think of the headlock application! Interested parties.....try slicing into this point with the radial bone as an effective addition to a head lock (or jaw lock as the case would be!)!
Posted by: underdog

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 6 - 10/05/05 11:19 PM

I am going to play with this idea. I never really used this point close in as in a grappling situation but you gave me some ideas I am going to try soon. Thanks. I use it as a striking point. Time to expand.

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 6 - 10/06/05 06:52 AM

Hi Everyone,

Apart from gouging with the thumb, you can also strike or gouge this target using ippon ken, which is also known as one knuckle fist, regards,

james

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 6 - 10/06/05 07:30 AM

Yep good point James. If your on the floor with someone you can push their head into the and dig the elbow in to, that is absolute agony.

Gav