Point of the Week - Stomach 32

Posted by: Gavin

Point of the Week - Stomach 32 - 09/28/05 07:21 AM

The idea of the Point of the Week posts is to stimulate discussion of the manipulation and application of a specific PP in actual combat. The PP's are workable within all MA systems and their study will greatly enhance the effectiveness of ALL arts. However, you must first have an advanced understanding of your art before you begin looking at PP's!

Here is a basic guide to PP attacks. Please pay close attention to the Safety section.

Stomach 32/ST32 or Fu Tu (Crouching Rabbit)

This weeks point is Stomach 32 or ST32 for short. It is located on an Earth meridian and is of Yang polarity according to TCM theory. It is located on the front of the thigh here.

Striking

I find that this point responds extremely well to a sharp direct strike directly into the muscle at a 90 degree angle.

A hard strike here will paralyze the entire leg. This point causes a great deal of internal shock and will cause an opponent to be completely disorientated for a split second or two. It will also cause the leg to straighten, the hip to drop back and the upper body to lurch forward.

Applications

As always applications are always subjective, and to be used as a basis to stimulate thought.

As a pre-emptive strike a sharp front kick using the tip of the shoe can be effective on this point. Although in reality if you can hit ST32 you'll more than likely have a clean shot at the knee or groin which require less accuracy and would be as effective. If the leg is slightly bent it can make it extremely hard to get the correct angle and direction for this point.

This point is great for knees, but as mentioned above the leg needs to be straight to get the right angle at direction so you'll need to do something to straighten the leg. One possible way to do this is to take the head up and back, bringing the opponent up onto the balls of their feet. A palm heel, uppercut or rising elbow would be suitable for this. This will cause the hands to rise up making it easier to drive the knee into ST32. Another way is to take the head forwards by striking the groin or a good solar plexus shot. This will hunch the body over, straightening the leg, although making it slightly more difficult angle for the knee.

The last application I'll mention is striking the point using an elbow. If you slipped or are dropped to the opponents feet a sharp elbow to ST32 can be a great equalizer. While your opponent may consciously guard their groin, the thigh maybe an accessible target. The shock caused by this strike combined with the effect it has on the bodies posture, make it ideal for catching someone with a quick shoot style motion and dumping them into the floor. You could then assume a mount or get to your feet and continue attacking.
Posted by: underdog

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 32 - 09/28/05 10:48 AM

I like this feature Gavin- You are doing a good job. I like checking out the index to see if you've posted a new point. "What I like to do with St 32". Here is my contribution. I like to crash into it coming in low with my forearm on St 32 and the other hand pulling on the ankle or midcalf for a take down.

Then, or alternatively, I like to use this point to set up the leg bar. Attacking the point will begin the necessary hyperextention of the knee for this technique.

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 32 - 09/28/05 10:58 AM

Cheers underdog. I was dying to use that one aswell but I keep getting accused of nicking all the best ones!

Off topic slightly but I prefer ST31 a bit higher up the thigh for this application, just seems to work a bit better for me. Still a perfectly valid contribution though. Thanks!
Posted by: underdog

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 32 - 09/28/05 06:41 PM

Good point (pardon the pun) Gavin. Here's the best of both worlds. Scrape down from St 31 to 34 or to the tendons above the knee cap. Use your forearm or the small finger side edge of your fist. Get a good piece of the meridian. That buckles the body, hyperextends the knee and really gives you the knee bar or take-down. You get a good picture of what a yang point does.

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 32 - 09/29/05 06:44 AM

Never really tried rubbing long the meridian, I'll give that a go! My guys are going to love you!!!
Posted by: Shihan64

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 32 - 12/15/05 09:25 AM

Good day ladies/gentlemen,
I am very impressed with the solid knowledge I see here in this forum.I am a 7th dan in Combat jujutsu and a master level in acupressure, QiGong and japanese shiatsu.I teach many law enforcement agencies and military units as well as security and nightclub staff. I have been studying jujutsu/kyusho for 36 yrs and chinese medicine etc for about 26. After carefully reading all of your posts I am deeply impressed with the knowledge you gentlemen have demonstrated. Gavin I very much enjoy your point of the week exceptional as well as your website is very nice and well layed out.Srry to interrupt gentlemen I will now go back and sit in the corner to continue to enjoy your posts.

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 32 - 12/16/05 05:09 AM

Hi Shihan,

Thank you very very much for your kind words! Don't sit in the corner though, share some experience mate! I'm about six months into my Shiatsu studies and thus far loving every minute of it....lots to take in though!

Please continue you to contribute my friend!

Gav

PS. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Posted by: Shihan64

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 32 - 12/17/05 06:55 AM

Gavin,
Thank you so much for the kind invitation. Yes it can be abit overwhelming in the beginning but as time goes on and more practical practice has been put in place, things will begin to become more natural. The most important thing about the different points are don't try to find them, find what landmarks point to them

Gavin,
Hi, I was just reading back past posts regarding this DKI question as to real or fake etc. Alot of very interesting comments, alot of truth alot of conjecture and some BS. Anyhow I merely mentioned this because you seem to be a very astute student of the arts and have very admirable goals. I
will say however as an Instructor of 100s of Law Enforc agencies in Canada and USA as well as abroad not to mention military spec forces units globally including your 9 para 22 para and 1 welsh guards out of wellington barracks prior to their stint in N Ireland. Anyhow the hypnosis email you got from Darren was bang on in those vids thats exactly what was being utilized, now I have met GD on several occasions as well as trined under Prof Wally Jay personally not to mention over 26 yrs of study in Kyusho and 36 in jujutsu, I can say that PP do work and depending on the mental state, and endorphine state of the subject these points will work very well. But in this vid it was 10% PP and rest was exactly as Darren called it. Just my thoughts gavin. good luck in your training.

Shihan

Posted by: StayUnderMyWing

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 32 - 12/18/05 06:22 AM

Don't know about anyone else, but in my PP study, intent has been the key.

Mark.

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 32 - 12/19/05 06:30 AM

Hi Shihan,

Thanks for your opinions and I'm in complete agreement with you.

Some people have taken the whole point of that thread completely the wrong way, which was one of the main reasons why I asked for it to be locked. In the end I was getting private messages and even a couple of emails telling me how much of a "God" George Dillman was and how dare I cast doubts on any of his teachings. I got fed up with saying "Dudes, I've posted shed loads of information about PP's....doesn't that kind of hint that I believe they work? I just don't think showing something that constantly fails in public demo's is a good idea to send out on national TV!" ....that was the whole point of thread.

Not meaning to be disrespectful, but I've everything public about NTKO's I'm likely to ever said, it just invites cluessly nutjobs to share their inmense experience. Saying that I always love chatting with MA's of your experience on any subject, but the NTKO stuff is something I'd prefer to do over PM or via email gavin@gosokempo.com.

Gav
Posted by: MAngelo

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 32 - 01/06/06 03:19 PM

Hello Gavin.
Just a line to tell you how much I enjoyed your PP of the week, and that I miss reading them, and hope you decide to continue them in the near future.
Thanks,
Mike

Re: Point of the Week - Stomach 32 - 01/08/06 01:36 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words. Has been a while since I done one hasn't it? I haven't got the time at the moment to do a weekly one at the moment, but I'll try a get a new one up here this week for you!

Gav