Different Sizes

Posted by: warriormonk

Different Sizes - 05/24/05 04:07 PM

My question is basically...Does pp work on everyone. I figure size of muscles may get in the way of applying them.
And if so then how is it an affective ma(no offense)
Posted by: Rumble

Re: Different Sizes - 05/24/05 05:10 PM

The size or mass of the muscles do add a little padding, you just have to use more force to get through it.
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: Different Sizes - 05/24/05 05:17 PM

Quote:

The size or mass of the muscles do add a little padding, you just have to use more force to get through it.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Points are all about manipulation, angle and direction.

Its all about doing things to put the person into correct position and the CORRECT application of force.

Kempo(god I'm glad I don't come here often)man
Posted by: Rumble

Re: Different Sizes - 05/25/05 01:57 AM

I will admit I dont know alot about pressure points but I do know some. I have this friend who is 312lbs about 6'4" not really muscular but very very thick and huge for some reason the pp doesnt effect him but effects everyone else I do it on so I thought maybe it could be because of his size? or maybe his nerves are numb I dont really know? Maybe you can tell me? you seem to be the expert on this topic.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Different Sizes - 05/25/05 04:10 AM

Rumble,
Your friend is covered in fat. I find it easier to apply pp's to larger people.The more developed the muscle the better. Trying to find pp's on small people is hard.
Kempoman is right,you don't just whack away where the point is. You have to know the proper angle and direction.
Posted by: Demonologist437

Re: Different Sizes - 08/04/05 02:11 AM

If I can add a little, it's not so much that because of increased mass around the point (muscle or fat) that the points don't work, it's just angle and direction might change, and in cases it just might be to difficult to get a good effect. But in turn, that usually means something is made weaker.

Example #1: Guy has HUGE forearms, and good wrists as well.
So, that would mean that most likely attacks going for lung-5 in the crease of the inside of the arma t the elbow might not be so good, neither would wrist torquing if his wrists are nasty huge to, but Lung-6 on the inside of his arm will hurt him like hellfire. Since both sides are large, the middle is made weaker. So, you attack the weaker, more stretched out part, that's compensation for the size everywhere else.

Example #2: angle and direction can change as well, especially with the liver/gallbladder crossing. (cannot remeebr the exact point names+numbers this time. Sorry!)
The crossing is just below the the floater rib, on each side of the core. Sorry, but for some reason I can't remeebr the accuarte location of this one. Really, I can't remeber it's location precisely, but the point is, it's angle and direction can change based on whether they have a gut or not. No gut? Cross uppercut those suckers to high heaven. Have gut? You now have to hit down into the point, to get past the gut and get at the nerve.

See what I mean? The points still work, you just need to know HOW to work them a tinsey bit better for certain body types.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Different Sizes - 08/04/05 05:15 AM

Oh that Spleen Gallbladder crossing hurts! It's just by GB24 (I'm working from home today, I've got my charts right above my head!). On the Russell Stutely DVD "Fight Stoppers" he does a lovely palm into here. You step to the outside of a right cross for example, you basically palm in twisting the hand in and down sending the force into towards the oppisite hip aiming for the back. When me and a mate were trying it out, muggins here went first. I dropped like a rock, took a good 15 seconds to get things together! Ouch! If you tense up and prepare for the shot it doesn't seem to have half the effect, so and setup shot would probably be required to use it for real.
Posted by: cks_cropper

Re: Different Sizes - 08/08/05 05:48 PM

So to add another situation, how about if some guy who had been on steroids for 12months came upto you and he was about 7ft. Would they actually work on him? Would he feel any pain as steroids mess your mind up. What are your thoughts?

thanx
CKS

Re: Different Sizes - 08/09/05 06:15 AM

I've got a guy who's just started training with us and is on steriods. His isn't very sensitive to PP's at all, I really have to whap them on to get an effect. Now, I'm affraid that I don't if this is due to him having a particular body or whether its the steriods. I also have a friend who I've been training with for a long time and he hardly feels PP's at all (he's a real freak you can twist his joints at 360 degree angles and the git still doesn't feel any pain! ) but I know for a fact that he has never touched steriods in his life. I have also trained with a guy who claims his not taking gear (he has a terrific physique. which is just a little too good to be natural) and you only needed to tell him what point you was going to strike and he whinced in pain. So to date, my experience of the points has been rather inconclusive, some people respond well, others don't. Thats why you need to have a big powerful arsenal to back you up when things go wrong!
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Different Sizes - 08/09/05 07:32 AM

Fair points Gavin, it also shows us not to rely on points (ie look for vital areas as well) but the mechanics and the body movement that good technique delivers.

whilst its not pretty or deadly a smack in the face (on the nose) generally has a posative response !

But then again im at the begining of my PP journey so could be talking rubbish................

Re: Different Sizes - 08/09/05 09:57 AM

No mate, your spot on! My instructors saying is "If in doubt, clout!". I rarely do anything cold; PP's, locks or chokes etc. I always want to do something initally to soften the opponent up, a good jolt of some kind. Give 'im something to think about why you try your other stuff. If that didn't work, I'd always fall back to something I know would work!
Posted by: jamesd

Re: Different Sizes - 09/06/05 02:25 PM

Hi everyone,

From my experience whilst working as a Doorman, i've often used pressure points on people of all shapes and sizes and it really is surprising what mixed results you get, its almost impossible to tell how receptive someone is until they're being applied, but there are a couple of points that i have found worked really well on most people regardless of their shape and size, and they're GV26 (when rubbed with the knuckles) and TW17 (when gouged with the thumb) obviously there are loads of other points that can be used but these two really do seem to work on most people, also TW17 is a great wake up point for a sleeping drunk! regards,

James