kosa dachi

Posted by: Anonymous

kosa dachi - 04/29/05 12:24 AM

when would you use kosa dachi?
Posted by: Akiba

Re: kosa dachi - 04/29/05 03:56 AM

I teach a short circle walking drill in which kosa dachi appears several times. During this drill one partner launches an attack at any oppertunity while the other defends.

I devised this drill having been in the centre of a large brawl whilst working as security in a pub. After it occured to me that I found myself 'caught' in kosa dachi and defending from this position.

I treat the posture as a transitionary movement (ie not one that is held for any reason) with practice you can spiral yourself upwards from the lowered position and generate considerable force.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: kosa dachi - 04/29/05 08:43 AM

If I dump my opponent I generally try to hold onto an arm so I can keep control.

If you then step over his head (You may kick it on the way [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] ) you can imobilise him with your legs in kosa dachi (It works as a choke as well) while you apply an arm bar (break)

Have a try sometime.

JohnL
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: kosa dachi - 04/29/05 11:01 AM

I actually have never come across the term kosa dachi. Can someone describe it? It sounds like a dachi with the rear leg bent towards the ground, what I refer to as mitsuren dachi.

-Al
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: kosa dachi - 04/29/05 11:06 AM

Al,

Kosa dachi= back cross stance.

Often used to move in shika or kiba dachi. Knees stay bent, back straight and you step one foot behind the other.

If you do Bassai/Passai in your system, it is the stance you are in on the first move after the ready position.
Sharon