Schmeisser book

Posted by: kenposan

Schmeisser book - 04/24/05 06:03 PM

Has anyone read Elmar Schmeisser's book on the Tekki kata?

Any good?
Posted by: creative

Re: Schmeisser book - 04/25/05 06:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kenposan:
Has anyone read Elmar Schmeisser's book on the Tekki kata?

Any good?

[/QUOTE]

I thought that the first part of the book where he describes how he analyses kata was good and i have tried working kata with some of his guidelines, Some of which i think work well.
I had heard good things about his book so was looking forward to seeing some of his applications and was very disappointed. For example most of his analysis of tekki shodan was centred around defence of a front kick! I would have much prefered to have seen how he applied the kata to a more common attack. I didnt even think that the front kick application that he gave was of any use. I wouldnt use it.
Overall i wouldn't reccomend the book, but on the over hand reading all the reviews it gets on the net you would think it was a great work. I would also like to hear other peoples oppinions
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Schmeisser book - 04/25/05 07:55 AM

kenposan,
I was originally very excited when I ordered his books. I was less excited after reading them. Its not that they are bad, they can open someones eyes if they havent grasped the idea of finding applications in the forms. One problem I see in some of his interpetations is that the attacker still has access to targets during the execution of techniques. I don't mean to be harsh. I think he is a respectable author and teacher. I would like to train with him to feel his approach. Maybe it is just my problem transferring the ideas from text to training.