help with UNSU

Posted by: Anonymous

help with UNSU - 04/19/05 07:22 PM

Hi. Im working on the shotokan version of UNSU. Some of you know that this is a very difficult kata. Im not doing it for any competition or anything. Can anyone offer tips or ways to work on that crazy 360 jump? I understand the choreography of the kata, but that jump is gonna take years to get down. just looking for anything like drills or exercises that will help with that particular technique.
thank you for any input.

Re: help with UNSU - 04/19/05 07:36 PM

The only thing that comes to mind is practice. It will come just like all the rest of the technique
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: help with UNSU - 04/19/05 09:47 PM

For Unsu's jump you might want to take a page from the ice skaters. When they spin, the stronger they pull their hands in the faster they turn.

So by drawing your extremeies into your center line, strongly, as you spin, you'll spin faster.

I thin you might be able to exploit that.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

Re: help with UNSU - 04/20/05 12:07 AM

Thanks for the replies

Re: help with UNSU - 04/20/05 07:37 AM

i have tried this 360 jump as well and can confirm that i failed in stupendus style, after watching my instructor make it look so easy i realised that its going to take some time to get right. during your jump do you perform a cresent kick(mikazuki geri)in mid flight for the 1st half and then a back kick(ashura geri)for the 2nd half this also in mid flight abit like a jumping split kick is the only way i can discribe it, the only reason i ask is that there are some karate styles that teach unsu with the kick still in place in the 360 jump i have never seen this done this i have only heard from talking to other members of our club, wether these are the truth or not i cannot say.
mind you that would be one hell of a fancy kick abit hollywoodish but still cool...
please excuse my poor spelling not my forte

[This message has been edited by Sensei Matt (edited 04-20-2005).]

Re: help with UNSU - 04/20/05 07:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sensei Matt:
i have tried this 360 jump as well and can confirm that i failed in stupendus style, after watching my instructor make it look so easy i realised that its going to take some time to get right. during your jump do you perform a cresent kick(mikazuki geri)in mid flight for the 1st half and then a back kick(ashura geri)for the 2nd half this also in mid flight abit like a jumping split kick is the only way i can discribe it, the only reason i ask is that there are some karate styles that teach unsu with the kick still in place in the 360 jump i have never seen this done this i have only heard from talking to other members of our club, wether these are the truth or not i cannot say.
mind you that would be one hell of a fancy kick abit hollywoodish but still cool...
please excuse my poor spelling not my forte

[This message has been edited by Sensei Matt (edited 04-20-2005).]
[/QUOTE]

thanx for your reply. I have been told to use the momentum of the crecent kick to power the jump. yes i have seen the other way that you refered to. I cant imagine doing the crescent kick on the ground and then throwing yourself into the jumpspin. Yeah its gonna take alot of time. But i love kata, so im not in any rush. Thats why kata is a lifetime study. thanks again