Kubotan Kata

Posted by: Anonymous

Kubotan Kata - 04/19/05 07:27 AM

I am studying for my next promotion and have to learn about the history of my personal weapon as well as demonstrate uses and a kata. Does anyone know of any existing kata for the kubotan or any short-stick kata that could be modified. Thanks

Re: Kubotan Kata - 04/19/05 08:12 AM

why would a school want you to learn a weapon on your own? If they want you to learn a weapon they should be teaching you how to use it and if their are any kata they should be teaching it to you as well. If you are just goin online to find any random kata, how are they gonna know what you are doin? If they dont know anything about the kata or the weapon how can you be graded?

Re: Kubotan Kata - 04/19/05 12:45 PM

Our dojo does instruct us on a variety of weapons. When we get to a certain level of instruction we are charged with the responsiblity of choosing (with our Sensei's approval) a weapon. We then have to research the history and uses of that weapon, specific applications of the weapon, and learn a kata (we can make our own but our Sensei said it's much easier to learn one or adapt one). We then give a report on what we've learned and demonstrate the uses. I don't believe we will be graded on the specific moves of any kata we perform, just a grade on the overall "project".

Our Dojo tries to get us to not just "learn" karate but to live it. Our Sensei has given us the sense that other than the basic moves our understanding and learning will go much deeper if we initiate some of the learning on our own.

Thank you for your input.

Re: Kubotan Kata - 04/19/05 02:06 PM

http://www.miyabi-ryu.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/kata_video.html

Good luck!

Re: Kubotan Kata - 04/19/05 03:22 PM

Thank you so, so very much! I checked out the videos and the ya-wara-bo kata looks exactly what I've been looking for.

One step closer!

Thanks, again.