Kata & Kickboxing

Posted by: Anonymous

Kata & Kickboxing - 03/17/05 04:16 PM

I`ve enjoyed learning about kata in this forum and have been wondering if it`s used in kb? It has`nt been mentioned in class.

I found it very interesting and would like to learn. Now I don`t mean to sound like a troll, but..yes here it comes......If I already know techniques and blocks, can I teach myself A kata? Is it something you must be taught? I`m going on holiday soon and I thought it would be a new way for me to practise technique as I will have no sparring partner.

If this is not a totally idiotic idea, please let me know by sharing your knowledge and guidance.

Jabber

Re: Kata & Kickboxing - 03/17/05 05:29 PM

Can you string together a sequence of self defense techniques and technical fighting manouveres (locks, armbars throws, defense for hair pull, roundhouse kick, escape from clinch or bouncer's come along, climbing the vine etc?) and practice them in a two man drill?

Remove the partner, and you have kata. At least one close to Okinawan themes.

Chinese forms teach concepts, and are genrally longer and more of a workout.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Kata & Kickboxing - 03/17/05 05:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jabber:
I`ve enjoyed learning about kata in this forum and have been wondering if it`s used in kb? It has`nt been mentioned in class.

I found it very interesting and would like to learn. Now I don`t mean to sound like a troll, but..yes here it comes......If I already know techniques and blocks, can I teach myself A kata? Is it something you must be taught? I`m going on holiday soon and I thought it would be a new way for me to practise technique as I will have no sparring partner.

If this is not a totally idiotic idea, please let me know by sharing your knowledge and guidance.

Jabber

[/QUOTE]

Jabber,To say that's a toatally idiotic idea would be an understatement. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Re: Kata & Kickboxing - 03/17/05 09:10 PM

It's only idiotic becuase the old katas have all of the answers. Formulating your own kata might help in analysing the ones the masters learned.

Re: Kata & Kickboxing - 03/18/05 03:03 PM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your replies and your encouragement. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

I will take the opportunity during my 3 week break to attempt to formulate my own kata - it may help, may not, but at least I will have something interesting to think about.

Kid4life, [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG]

Would you mind explaning why it is idiotic? Do you think it will lead to bad habits? Or that it`s futile and a waste of time? Or that it`s only something that should be taught? As a beginner I crave not only to learn, but also to understand.

Thanks

Jabber

Btw, do either of you know if kata is taught in kickboxing?

Re: Kata & Kickboxing - 03/20/05 10:26 PM

jabber,
I'm pretty sure that kata is not taught in kickboxing because it's a sport not a traditional martial art.
I wouldn't suggest trying to formulate your own kata,but I would learn from a qualified instructor.

Re: Kata & Kickboxing - 03/22/05 06:17 AM

Hi Sanchin,

Thanks for you input. I`ll find out a bit more about it, and if I`m not gonna feel to much of a fool I`ll ask my instructor. Hopefully he won`t laugh to loud if I`m talking BS.

Jabber

Re: Kata & Kickboxing - 04/04/05 10:58 AM

If you already know blocks, locks, attacks etc... then i think it would be a good idea. It may help you to notice things that you may not have, it would also iprove the technical side of your art.
K.L

p.s i also study kickboxing and no they don't use Kata..

Re: Kata & Kickboxing - 04/06/05 05:12 AM

Hi K.L,

Thanks for your info, I`d got replies but I did want a yes/no answer, now I have one.

While I`m away I might TRY to formulate a kata as I can`t see any real harm in trying this excercise - at the end of the day I`m still practiscing technique.

jabber

Re: Kata & Kickboxing - 04/06/05 06:27 AM

There is nothing idiotic about wanting to learn something that might help you with your training. Kickboxing doesn't have kata, so try talking to another instructor in your area and see if he/she is willing to teach you a few. If you find a good kenpo school, short form 1 is a good place to start, so you get used to the idea of moving in a pattern without a training partner. If there is a tradition Japan/Okinawa school in your area, then one of the Taikyoku series is a good place to start. After that, just ask for a mid level difficulty, and then a more advance kata. My advice should you find a kenpo instructor who's willing to help you is to learn short 1, long 1, and then short 3. I hope this helps.

Re: Kata & Kickboxing - 04/06/05 06:50 AM

Hi Bushinoki,

Thanks, that`s very helpful advice. As someone who knows nothing about Kata, (except that I find it appealing), it`s great to have somewhere to start.

I won`t have time to approach a kenpo instructor in my area before i go away for a few weeks, I `m not even sure if there is one! I will certainly check that out before I go and have an appointment with one for my return.

In the meantime any guidance you give me in this matter will be very much appreciated. I get butterflys when I think of being away from my dojo for so long, and I LOVE technique.

Thanks again,

jabber