Karate Kata Tutorials

Posted by: Anonymous

Karate Kata Tutorials - 02/20/05 06:56 PM

I have been a karate student since i was 8 years of age(i am now 13) and I have always had a certain interest in katas, but I would like to find some online tutorials, even pictures, so I could learn different katas on my own, even get extra practice. if someone could give me a link or some help it would be appreciated!

thank you

(currently a green belt in karate, i know heian shodan, heian nidan, heian sandan, heian yondan and am learning heian godan and tekki shodan, I DO SHOTOKAN KARATE!)
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Karate Kata Tutorials - 02/22/05 11:59 PM

blaze911,I Think it would be best that you did'nt learn other kata outside of your dojo.

IMO learning other kata/forms outside of the dojo is disrespectful to your sensei,The best thing for you to do,Is learn the katas at your dojo & your dojo only.

Also, You've that said that you were a greenbelt,& If that's the case Learning a different kata will confuse you instead of helping you.

As i've said before the best thing for you to do,Is train at your dojo & no whare else b/c if you're commited,& patient,You just might oneday become an excellent karate ka. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Karate Kata Tutorials - 02/23/05 03:45 AM

IMO learning other kata/forms outside of the dojo is disrespectful to your sensei,The best thing for you to do,Is learn the katas at your dojo & your dojo only.

Surely you mean only until you are or start training for black belt (say, for a formal demonstration with bunkai for part of the grading).

Re: Karate Kata Tutorials - 02/25/05 11:39 AM

Although I am not opposed to learning kata outside of your style or dojo, you should have your sensei's blessing before doing so. Also, being of kyu rank, you should focus more and learn the most about the kata you already practice. Train quality not quantity. On a side note, one cannot truely understand kata if it is taught from a video or from a book. It requires hands on instruction and correction from a practitioner of the kata.