Controlling your emotions in a fight

Posted by: Anonymous

Controlling your emotions in a fight - 11/17/04 07:46 PM

How do you control your emotions or adrenalne in a fight?

Re: Controlling your emotions in a fight - 11/17/04 10:43 PM

There's not alot you can do about adrenalin, but as for emotions:

Immerse yourself in some deeply calming and peaceful philosophy...

View yourself as vastly superior to whoever you fight...

Focus on the logic of your situation and not on the irrational emotions u are feeling (this can backfire if your about to try and fight, say, Mike Tyson after sleeping with his girlfriend, as the logic of your situation is that you're doomed).

Hope this has been helpful.

Re: Controlling your emotions in a fight - 11/18/04 04:56 AM

Adrenelin control comes with experiance and its more just directing the effects,breathing has a impact though. As far as emotions personally I am emotionally dead in fights. The important thing is not to let your emotions effect your judgement. Fear though can be your best friend, yet terror your worst enemy.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Controlling your emotions in a fight - 11/30/04 11:27 AM

Sanchin kata is refered to as "3 conflicts"; mental, physical and spiritual or breathing. I believe breathing is the key.
It can calm the mind and slow the adreneline dump.

A friend on mine lost his composure when his nose was broken during his shodan testing. I advised him to calm down, and he told me of his intention to get even. I said that was his business, but he should not publicly show his immaturity. Plus that kind of brutish anger adversely affects your fighting.

One motto I love is "When your anger goes out, withdraw your hand. When the hand goes out, withdraw your anger".
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Controlling your emotions in a fight - 11/30/04 02:47 PM

I agree with Ironfoot. B/c If one wishes to be calm,He/she must inhale through the nose, in order to be calm,& exhale out of the mouth, in order to beome refreshed.

However, If your adversary were starts to inhale or exhale,You sould then strike & strike hard.

Btw Breathing not only helps with relaxing,But also with awareness.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Controlling your emotions in a fight - 11/30/04 04:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ironfoot:
Sanchin kata is refered to as "3 conflicts"; mental, physical and spiritual or breathing. I believe breathing is the key.
It can calm the mind and slow the adreneline dump.

A friend on mine lost his composure when his nose was broken during his shodan testing. I advised him to calm down, and he told me of his intention to get even. I said that was his business, but he should not publicly show his immaturity. Plus that kind of brutish anger adversely affects your fighting.

One motto I love is "When your anger goes out, withdraw your hand. When the hand goes out, withdraw your anger".
[/QUOTE]

Ironfoot, are you an Isshinryu karate ka?