Final Movements in Bassai/Passai

Posted by: Alejandro

Final Movements in Bassai/Passai - 11/03/04 01:48 PM

Hello all!!

A question to all karate-ka:
In your style's version of Bassai/Passai(dai), what are the final movements in the kata(i.e. the movements following the low inner forearm parries and backfist strikes, facing original direction)?
I've seen several variations on the final movements, from simple morote shuto uke, to various other hand and body positions, in various directions. What movements do you practice, and what applications do they carry? Thanks!

-Al
Posted by: Shotokan_Nut

Re: Final Movements in Bassai/Passai - 08/22/05 10:44 PM

In Shotokan, After The Left Uchi Uke we step 45 degrees anticlockwise turning on left foot into a right Shuto Uke. Then we turn head 45 degrees left while stepping 90 degrees clockwise turning on left foot while remaining in the same stance. So your looking the opposite way that your Shuto Stance is, then move right foot to left, then move left foot forward in the direction you are looking and perform a left Shuto Uke and the kata is complete
Posted by: znra251

Re: Final Movements in Bassai/Passai - 09/20/05 05:17 AM

in my club the last movements are similar exept that the last shuto is a strike rather than a block, finishing off the last oponent before ending the kata

gary
www.karateonline.org - kata videos, international competition footage and more
Posted by: shukokaichap

Re: Final Movements in Bassai/Passai - 09/20/05 07:51 AM

We do this:

http://www.shitokai.com/movies/bassaidai.php
Posted by: sumrandom

Re: Final Movements in Bassai/Passai - 09/23/05 03:47 AM

yup. make that two votes for shotokan_nut's version.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Final Movements in Bassai/Passai - 09/27/05 09:29 AM

Not only is Bassai a Japanese/Okinawian kata but it is a Korean form as well. It is very similar, a matter of fact it is just about the same.