Wondering about dojos overseas.

Posted by: Anonymous

Wondering about dojos overseas. - 10/24/04 09:12 PM

Hello all!

I'm new to this site, I just registered a few minutes ago. I'm eighteen years old and have been training in Shorinjiryu Kentokukan Karatedo for a little over nine months and I am currently a green belt (4th kyu). I live in Canada and I might be moving to my home country, Lebanon by the end of this year.

The thing is, by the time I go, I'll

Re: Wondering about dojos overseas. - 10/24/04 09:22 PM

Sorry...

I pressed the wrong button by accident, thus submitting the post before I was even done. I also know this isn't the proper category in which I'm starting this new thread, but since I accidentally submitted an incomplete post, I might as well continue.

As I was saying, I might be leaving at around June or July 2005. By that time I'd most probably be a 2nd Kyu brown belt.

The thing is, I don't know if there are any dojos in Lebanon or in Qatar (where I might also be going) that teach in the same style. I worked to get to this level, and when I get to brown belt, that's when the real work starts, and I'm very much looking forward to it. I know that if I go into a different style I'd have to go back to white. Of course, I love Karate A LOT, and having the opportunity to train in it is more important to me than what rank I am. Still, I'd prefer not to have to start all over.

So, if someone can tell me if there are dojos in these two countries that teach in this style, I'd much appreciate it.

Thank you! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Karateka13
Posted by: kempocos

Re: Wondering about dojos overseas. - 10/26/04 01:55 PM

I would say do not sweat it, the rank only means anything in your current dojo. The skills you gathered will still be there. I would train hard until I leave, once moved in I would train solo and look for a good school. The skills you have will help you progress faster in the new style if it comes to that.

good luck

Re: Wondering about dojos overseas. - 10/26/04 10:24 PM

Thanks Kempocos...I think I'll do that. I hope I find a good school in Qatar or Lebanon to continue in--not some "mcdojo" that's there for the money. Right now, I'm very lucky to be in a dojo taught by the founder of the style himself (who's also an eighth-degree black belt) and he cares about his students and is a great teacher. That's why I'm reluctant to leave. But I guess whatever will happen will happen, I'm sure things will work out all right. Thanks a lot for replying!

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Karateka13
Posted by: Toudiyama

Re: Wondering about dojos overseas. - 10/27/04 03:39 AM

I don't think you will find many schools outside of Canada that teach this style, since the founder is Canadian

If you find a school that teaches something that looks a lot like what you do, just tell them what you did and what rank you got, sometimes they will ask you to wear a white belt for a short while, just to evaluate you, if your Karate is solid, you might be allowed to keep your rank even though you don't know the complete curiculum required for that rank

Look at how many people get awarded 1st dan in one style then second in another and so on

I was 2nd dan Wado when I entered the Ashihara Dojo, I chose to wear a white belt myself but did tell the guys there my ranking in Wado ( am a licenced teacher too)
This way nobody felt cheated and everyone appreaciated
Because I was already aquanted with Kyokushin, I was still placed on the side that functioned as an example for the beginners

Good Karate is good Karate, no matter the style and a good teacher should be able to see that