Choki Motobu Video Tape

Posted by: chinto01

Choki Motobu Video Tape - 09/06/04 06:21 PM

Hey those of you who are looking for some alternative applications to the naihanchi katas may want to check out a video I saw today. It was called "The karate of Choki Motobu." It was interesting but like everything else it is open to peoples dislike. I just thought it was great to see some different aspects. Keep training.

Chinto
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Choki Motobu Video Tape - 09/06/04 09:46 PM

That's the one that his son, Chosei, put together, right?
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Choki Motobu Video Tape - 09/07/04 01:59 AM

Yes that is correct, its the one done by his son Chosei Motobu who us in his 80's now. He still gets around though. I know of an Instructor who brings Motobu Sensei to the states every year.This year I think he is going to be in North Carolina in October, but am not positive about that. I can check if anyone is iinterested. There is also another of video tape out there when Motobu Sensei did a seminar in Vegas, about 4 or 5 years ago. That one is rare but there are some out there. Yamazato Productions(Hanshi George Aleander-Shorin Ryu)had some copies as well as his other video. The first tape in Vegas is more basics oriented but does show some Bunkai. The later one shows the Nihanshi's and also the original 12 self-defenses.

Re: Choki Motobu Video Tape - 09/07/04 05:54 PM

Does anyone know where someone could find the tape with Naihanchi and the 12 applications? I would be very interested in obtaining a copy to see how Motobu was taught the Bunkai of the kata.

Re: Choki Motobu Video Tape - 09/07/04 10:09 PM

Can you provide me with any more information on Motobu sensei's possible November 2004 visit? I live near the VA/NC border, and am highly interested in doing some research into Motobu Choki's karate. Any sites?

Re: Choki Motobu Video Tape - 09/30/04 08:43 AM

If ANYONE has any info on a Motobu Seminar in NC in October, please be kind enough to post it!!

I have been to 3 seminars in the last 5 months dealing exclusively with naihanchi/naifunchin concepts and applications. I am really engrossed in this particular kata!

A chance to train with Motobu Sensei (especially so close to home) would be a once in a lifetime experience!!

C
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Choki Motobu Video Tape - 10/07/04 04:04 PM

For anyone interested here is some information on the Motobu Sensei seminar in North Carolina. Professor Kimo Ferarrai is Motobu Sensei and Inabe Sensei's host for the time they are in the states. According to Professor Kimo he will meet Motobu Sensei and Inabe Sensei on Tuesday October 12th. They all will arrive in North Carolina on the 13th. The sponsor of the seminar is Sensei Russ Ziegler and the seminar is in Pisgah Forrest(my spelling may be off as I have never heard of this place)which is near Ashville I am told. The seminar is that Saturday, the 16th, and maybe Sunday, I am not sure. I have Ziegler Sensei's phone number but do not think he would be very happy having in listed on the internet, so anyone interseted can e-mail me and I will send them his number and they can get details on the seminar. Professor Kimo, Motobu Sensei, Inabe Sensei will leave for New York for a seminar there and then off to Nebraska to complete this mini-tour. Professor Kimo is back in Hawaii on the 25th and I think Motobu Sesnei will also be back to Japan.

I wish I could make this but am stuck here and will not be able to attend. Motobu Sensei is getting a bit old, though I hear you can't tell and may not be making this trip too many more times. So if anyone is there on the east coast you may want to try and see him. Hope this helps.