White Crane History

Posted by: FooChow Crane

White Crane History - 07/28/04 02:07 AM

Hi,

I am doing some reading on the connection between Ryu Ro Ku and Okinawan Karate and stumbled upon some very interesting statements. Hope someone can shed light on:-

• In Morio Higaonna’s “The History of Karate” he wrote – There is some evidence that Ryu Ryu Ko’s martial arts style was Su San Tai Pao which is completely different from the Crane style…

I know for a fact that Su San Tai Pao (13 defenders) is a Fukien Yong Chun White Crane form so what is with this statement ? You can view this form at www.fujianbaihe.com.

• He also wrote in the same book – The White Crane Sanchin for example, used to be called Sanchin, but is now called Happoren.

Anyone know this for sure? I do both SanJin and Paik Po Lien (I think Happoren is the Okinawan’s version) in Whooping Crane (Xia Zhong Xian’s stream). I also checked with other crane friends here in South East Asia and they are also unaware of this change.

• The same book (pg 55) – Their guide explained that, during the difficult times, many Fuzhou residents had fled to Taiwan and other parts of South East Asia. Though he had no idea where the family of Ryu Ryu Ko now lived…
• Patrick McCarthy wrote in “Hakutsuru Digest” that he learned Nepai from the great grandson of Ryu Ru Ko.

So did McCarthy accomplished what Higaonna failed in his mission to Fuzhou – locate the family of Ryu Ro Ku? Or are we talking about 2 different RRK?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: White Crane History - 04/21/05 12:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FooChow Crane:
Hi,

I am doing some reading on the connection between Ryu Ro Ku and Okinawan Karate and stumbled upon some very interesting statements. Hope someone can shed light on:-

• In Morio Higaonna’s “The History of Karate” he wrote – There is some evidence that Ryu Ryu Ko’s martial arts style was Su San Tai Pao which is completely different from the Crane style…

I know for a fact that Su San Tai Pao (13 defenders) is a Fukien Yong Chun White Crane form so what is with this statement ? You can view this form at www.fujianbaihe.com.

• He also wrote in the same book – The White Crane Sanchin for example, used to be called Sanchin, but is now called Happoren.

Anyone know this for sure? I do both SanJin and Paik Po Lien (I think Happoren is the Okinawan’s version) in Whooping Crane (Xia Zhong Xian’s stream). I also checked with other crane friends here in South East Asia and they are also unaware of this change.

• The same book (pg 55) – Their guide explained that, during the difficult times, many Fuzhou residents had fled to Taiwan and other parts of South East Asia. Though he had no idea where the family of Ryu Ryu Ko now lived…
• Patrick McCarthy wrote in “Hakutsuru Digest” that he learned Nepai from the great grandson of Ryu Ru Ko.

So did McCarthy accomplished what Higaonna failed in his mission to Fuzhou – locate the family of Ryu Ro Ku? Or are we talking about 2 different RRK?

[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend,
I would be very interested in your research of Ryuru Ko. Could you possibly send me your reading? I would be thankful for any information.
vk

Re: White Crane History - 04/21/05 02:53 AM

Remember, I have seen traditions which Ru Ru Ko as a palce, and SANCHIN31 says he has seen soem which say he was a person named after the place.

Re: White Crane History - 04/21/05 05:34 AM

Your post is very interesting. I know nothing about the subject, but could you please answer my questions:

I was planning on purchasing "The History of Karate", and wanted an unbiased review first. Can you tell me, overall, how does it weigh in on accuracy and how much is there about Miyagi?

Is Hakutsuru Digest something that only members (to McCarthy's group) can get?

Thank you.