Gopaisho kata

Posted by: Anonymous

Gopaisho kata - 07/06/04 09:25 PM

In the Shorei Ryu system, a kata exists called Gopaisho. I was wondering if anybody knows the origins of this kata and where I might find a book or video of this kata. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dru
Posted by: Dr. Krunk-n-stein

Re: Gopaisho kata - 07/07/04 01:10 PM

There is no modern Shorei Ryu system,. That's the old name for Okinawan Goju Ryu. Go Pei Sho is a made up form that SHURI RYU (again a misnomer/American karate style) practitioners perform.

Hope this helps.
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: Gopaisho kata - 07/09/04 05:21 PM

LOL! Just can't give up, can you Dr. K? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Robert A. Trias, the founder of Shuri-Ryu, learned this kata from his first instructer, T'ung Gee Hsing, of the Hopei school (hence "go pei"). It is not entirely known if Trias learned Go Pei directly from him, or organized what he learned into the form himself. At any rate, this form, along with Dan Enn Sho, sum up what T'ung Gee Hsing taught trias, and are a shuri-ryu students link to the style's hsing-yi roots.
Check out www.shuri-ryu.com for more info, plus info on ordering kata videos.

-Al
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Gopaisho kata - 07/10/04 10:42 AM

Thanks for the info, Alex. That answers alot of questions.

I was just wondering where it came from because I couldn't find ANY information on the Net or elsewhere but I will check out that info you gave me.

Dru