Attn wado practitioners

Posted by: still wadowoman

Attn wado practitioners - 05/01/04 10:29 AM

Hi All,
I would like to pick your brains about Chinto. There is one bit I just can not fathom and it is driving me mad.

When you have stepped forward with hands in front of face, palms facing out and open them(like peek-a boo) and then you turn to your left and repeat action with palms facing in.
what is going on here?

Any and all ideas welcome and much appreciated, I am completely stuck for a workable application.

Thanks in advance.
Sharon
Posted by: ken harding

Re: Attn wado practitioners - 05/01/04 03:30 PM

Groan @ Sharon for picking Ken's least favourite Wado kata, the one where he lets his mind wander as sensei talks as he dislikes it so. (Probably why I am so bad at it lol.)

Apps and a reference to follow.
Posted by: senseibones

Re: Attn wado practitioners - 05/01/04 03:31 PM

Hi I train in Shorinryu (Chibana lineage)and we practice Chinto. The way we practice that is as two different applications. The first move is used by us as a facial scrape, very applicable against a grappler, the second is a against a lapel grab or in women self defense for the attacker that may attempt to choke you. Once you break the grip you can than pull him off balance and hit him with two elbow strikes.

[This message has been edited by senseibones (edited 05-01-2004).]
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Attn wado practitioners - 05/01/04 10:42 PM

Sharon....I try not to talk about the actual technique within the Bunkai because everyone has their own ideas. I also think it depends on your experience and your background in the arts.I don't study Wado but we do Chinto in our style as well. My background prior to Karate was Aiki(both Jujutsu and Aikido)and Jujutsu.So I tend to see more joint locking and throwing than I do the striking techniques. I also have studied Torite Jutsu for almost 20 years, and you find many pressure points, joint locks and throws within the Bunkai. When I asked my Sensei for help with a particular Bunkai or movement, he would tell me I had to give him one to get one. Once I 'faked' my way through one, this is the answer I would get

"there is a throw in that Bunkai......A lock....a choke and a break along with the usually more obvious striking technique. I know this doesn't answer your question, but what I would have to do is study the movement and see if it matched a throw I knew. I would do the same thing with locks, chokes, breaks and releases. I suggest the same process for you as you will see more than I do I am sure. I also see this as a release, as the hands raise and push forward from a wrist grab. But again, that is just something I see, and I am sure you will find much more. The best thing I find is studying movement not viewing the Bunkai as technique, and seeing if it relates to any throws, locks, chokes breaks etc. My Sensei first had me work this process with an upper block. I had to find the strike, the throw,the lock, the choke, the break, the release and 1 application of a pressure point technique. He then would add a punch and had to start all over again. I am not trying to be fague, but people see things differently and why should I tell you something about what you already know. Anyway, this is the process we use. I bet you will find something real quick.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Attn wado practitioners - 05/02/04 05:31 PM

Ken, Shame on you! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] 50 Push ups! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Senseibones, I have tried using this from grappling and from the lapel grab you suggest. I need more practice at it, but can see what you mean. Thank you very much.

Senseilou, Thank you, both for the suggestion of an escape from a lapel grab and for you advice. I am practising following this escape with a throw but can't quite manage it yet.

Sharon [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Stampede

Re: Attn wado practitioners - 05/02/04 08:03 PM

Good stuff, Senseilou
Posted by: ken harding

Re: Attn wado practitioners - 05/04/04 07:10 AM

Am all out of breath from push ups ;-)
www.linacre.ox.ac.uk/soc_pages/karate/katasin

There's some chinto bits on here though nothing very new. I don't see this as a double block. There is a possible throw but only if you don't bring the arms up at the same time. I leave this to the Chinto experts