How many of you look for pressure points while doing bunkai?

Posted by: Lokkan-Do

How many of you look for pressure points while doing bunkai? - 04/28/04 01:51 PM

I recently began activiting pressure points while doing bunkai.

I'll try to gather some pictures from sites to illustrate "new found" my application...but I don't know if it will be clear.

You guys probably know this stuff anyway...I just want you opinion on wether you think it's a good application or not.
Posted by: senseilou

Re: How many of you look for pressure points while doing bunkai? - 04/28/04 04:41 PM

See my post on the other kata thread. I will not go over it again, but you need a good, solid foundation to use pressure points. They are very useful, but its important to understand its use and not sacrafice your basics. remember Pressure points work about 60% of the time. People have recessed or hidden points, people on certain medication won't feel the points, alcohol and drugs effect the points as well. I once had a Sensei tell me he was going to hit me in a particular place, and then in 10 minutes, was going to come back and hit me somewhere else and I would go out. I agreed. When he left, I went to the bathroom and waited for 20 minutes, so I wasn't there when he came back. One way to stop the technique. No one is going to stand around and let you do this, and it takes time and accuracy to learn these. If you are at a point where your basics are good, and you are at Dan level where this is your interest, I feel its fine, Shodan should be refining their basics, and after that, students should investigate what they want to add to their art. But not in sacrafice of their basics.
Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Re: How many of you look for pressure points while doing bunkai? - 04/29/04 08:31 PM

Thanks.

Warm regards, Lok