Tensho

Posted by: Anonymous

Tensho - 03/23/04 08:30 PM

For those who practice this form, how do you go about it? I've seen two different methods; a soft, almost anti-Sanchin method of breathing, combined with slow, smooth techniques. The second is a rather fast, not-so-pretty form which seems to focus more on power of strikes.
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: Tensho - 03/24/04 03:35 PM

We practice it both ways, but mostly the "anti-sanchin" way. In goju-ryu, they say Sanchin is go(hard), and Tensho encompasses ju(soft). I've heard it described as staying completely relaxed, hiding your attack or your go.

-Al
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Tensho - 03/24/04 04:45 PM

Cool. I'm interested in picking up the Tensho kata from a Gojuryu sensei with whom my school is friends. I want to have a decent balance for my Sanchin.

Also, I've read several reasons for Miyagi's changing the Tensho form from the softer performance to the more vicious performance you can find these days. What is the general consensus on that?
Posted by: goju12

Re: Tensho - 03/25/04 10:05 PM

Hi, i'm new to the forum. I was wondering what vicious version of Tensho you had seen, and which family of goju ryu was practicing it. I have only seen Tensho performed in a soft fashion. This is also how I was shown and continue to practice. I have though seen Uechi practitioners perform Sanchin at full speed. Very powerful when the movements are done with that sort of intensity.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Tensho - 03/30/04 03:21 PM

In our system Tensho is flowing but not "soft" in its form.

Remembering that all the hand movements are strikes, you should be able to show some form of shudder/shock while performing Tensho as you would with other katas, however themovements should not be jerky as this kata is one that has to flow....

The body should be relaxed while doing Tensho.

Breathing for Tensho is daoist - ie reverse Buddhist. Breathe in - stomach goes in, breathe out, stomach goes out.

Sanchin is the opposite in its breathing style. And the whole body in Sanchin is completely tight and focussed. all muscles tight and the power contained within.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Tensho - 06/12/04 10:23 AM

Good Morning Vash:

Can Tensho be done doing slowly, SMOOTHLY yet with tangible power [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] I see no problem there....

Jeff
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Tensho - 06/12/04 11:46 AM

My studies in tensho lead me to see chinese principles of one technique flowing into another technique, a rounder way of using karate.

The simplest answer is where the opening outer parry hand deflects and pulls a punch in towards yourself and then reverses the circle to strike into the neck (likely carotid sinus) of the attacker.

Hard to get more viscous in intent than blasting across somebodies neck is it.

Soft flow is deceptive until they nail you with it.

Pleasantly, and moving very softly myself in tai chi practice, too.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu