Asai's Junro

Posted by: floide

Asai's Junro - 02/17/04 11:04 AM

I am a member of the new JKS (formerly known as the Asai branch of the JKA) and I recently went to a training camp where were two senseis: Toro Arai and Kosho Kanayama. They showed us a few of the numerous new katas that Asai sensei invented. Since we didn't practice them extensively, I can only remember two of them: Junro shodan and Junro Nidan.

I have been looking for them everywhere on the internet, but couldn't find anything. I know the Junro katas go as far as godan. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Asai's Junro - 05/11/04 09:14 AM

Just came across your post, it's a few months on but you may read it yet.
With regards to the Junro katas they do indeed go up to Godan.
There is a book held at the Hombu Dojo but nothing available to the public as yet, I beleive that will change and you will probably be able to buy both a book and a video/dvd in the future.
At the moment i am afraid its going on courses that is the way to learn them, when we were in Japan at the beginning of this year we took the opportunity of videoing one of the kenshusei (trainee instructors)doing the five Junro katas for us.
Good luck
Posted by: floide

Re: Asai's Junro - 05/18/04 11:37 AM

Thanks for the info.

There's the summer camp just around the corner, maybe we'll learn sandan. Sure hope so, since it's the only opportunity we have here in North America.