Double forms...

Posted by: Kotetsu

Double forms... - 12/31/03 09:12 AM

Have any of you ever seen a double form practiced, or done one yourselves? If you don't understand my terminology, a double form is sort of like a two person kata(or whatever it is called in your art), in which it represents the two participants fighting, it's alot like a choreographed fight, but not quite.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Double forms... - 12/31/03 10:38 AM

Hi,

What you're referring to as double forms are often called two person forms.

In Okinawan weapons tradition they're part of the staple. Isshinryu has a Bo vs. Bo and Bo vs. Sai tradition, and others use them too.

On the whole where Chinese systems, Japanse Judo kata, and many other fighting traditions use them, they don't seem to have been imported into Okinawan systems.

I've studied a few of those traditions and the two person form has great value.

Pleasantly,

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Double forms... - 12/31/03 10:44 AM

In Matsubayashi Ryu we study something similar and we call them Yakusoku Kumite.

[This message has been edited by medulanet (edited 12-31-2003).]
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Double forms... - 12/31/03 10:46 AM

In Yang Tai Chi we have 2 man forms and an "application" form to the Yang Chen Fu form.

There are also 2 man form for the double edged sword form.

In Jodo virtually all training is 2 man form with jo v Katana.

In Wado Karate we practise the Hihon Kumite which are derived from the Shinden Yoshin Ryu Ju Jitsu 2 man forms and these are often strung together in a variety of ways.
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Double forms... - 12/31/03 10:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bossman:
In Wado Karate we practise the Hihon Kumite which are derived from the Shinden Yoshin Ryu Ju Jitsu 2 man forms and these are often strung together in a variety of ways.[/QUOTE]

Sorry that should have read Kihon not Hihon [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] *slaps tying finger*
Posted by: Kotetsu

Re: Double forms... - 12/31/03 07:23 PM

Thanks for the replies, the information was useful. Me and my freind are making one up, and i just felt like poking around. Anyone have any links to a good site that would show a double form? Thanks again.