Kata Applications

Posted by: fullcircle

Kata Applications - 10/17/03 11:05 AM

Does anybody out there have information on where to go to find Websites which show Kata APPLICATIONS?
Thank You very much.

[This message has been edited by fullcircle (edited 10-27-2003).]
Posted by: dee-jay

Re: Kata Applications - 10/21/03 11:33 PM

There is a great site with kata videos and other information called keithgeyerkarate.com
I hope it has the style that you need.
good luck

Re: Kata Applications - 10/27/03 04:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dee-jay:
There is a great site with kata videos and other information called keithgeyerkarate.com
I hope it has the style that you need.
good luck
[/QUOTE]

Thanks dee-jay its a great site but no actual kata APPLICATIONS, kata videos only.I am looking for KATA APPLICATIONS.Thanks Anyway.
Posted by: Kotetsu

Re: Kata Applications - 11/21/03 05:18 PM

The only thing i could suggest would be approaching your instructor. The other option i could see, is watch someone else do the kata, and try and see what each move could be doing(aside from, that's a kick, that's a punch) and also keep in mind, practical applications always involve more than one opponent.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Kata Applications - 11/21/03 07:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kotetsu:
...and also keep in mind, practical applications always involve more than one opponent.[/QUOTE]

What?! Please explain.

Re: Kata Applications - 11/22/03 02:06 PM

Forms as far as i can tell, are always designed with multiple opponents in mind, one opponent is not running circles around you while you do your moves. I may be wrong, but that is my opinion and how i have seen most applications done.

Re: Kata Applications - 11/23/03 07:13 AM

kotetsu and others who have responded to this site ,... have you seen the unworkable bunkai/applications being shown by some so called Masters out there,..grip changes & other ridiculus one handed stuff,...as for learning by observing,..everything is hidden,.. remember the okinawans did not want the japanese to know everything,...do you see the takedowns,throws,jointlocks, chokes,& various pressurepoint strikes in the katas by watching them being performed ,..most people dont,.. and they were designed that way on purpose,..we need to be "initiated into" what themes the katas are really teaching us.

Re: Kata Applications - 11/23/03 02:55 PM

Not being araogant, but i do agree with you, some of the things people teach as applications just seem odd. But, I don't believe you need to be 'initiated' into katas. Personally, those 'hidden' things you will pick up as you learn the move itslf, when yoe're first learning, and you see someone do a form, you think it is just a bunch of punches and kicks, mayeb a couple of blocks. As you learn more strikes you see the different ones incorporated. As you learn more you ontice more and understnad more, you don't need someone to show you all the you the kata to find the hidden things, you need someone to show you the hidden things to find the kata.

Re: Kata Applications - 11/23/03 07:48 PM

well then ,..whats the diff??? thanks.

Re: Kata Applications - 11/23/03 10:09 PM

The difference is, they teach you the moves, and then you see the application, instead of them just teaching you the application. The benefit is you would come up with your own application that fits you better, then you can learn the application(s) your instructor has.