shorin and shoriji

Posted by: otognito

shorin and shoriji - 09/23/03 04:55 AM

i wonder if anyone can answer if there is a difference between shorin ryu and shorinji ryu.are they the same ?and what is the difference between the two.thanks
Posted by: Bossman

Re: shorin and shoriji - 09/27/03 07:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by otognito:

i wonder if anyone can answer if there is a difference between shorin ryu and shorinji ryu.are they the same ?and what is the difference between the two.thanks
[/QUOTE]

Shorin is Japanese for Shaolin, Ji is Japanese for Temple and Ryu is the method or school.

Steve
Posted by: Sandifer

Re: shorin and shoriji - 10/02/03 07:40 PM

Unless I am mistaken (someone correct me if I am wrong) Shorin Ryu came directly to Okinawa from China. Whereas, Shorinji came directly from China to Japan. So they have different slants.

Sandifer
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: shorin and shoriji - 10/07/03 02:38 PM

You are partially correct. Shorinji KEMPO (with an "M") is supposedly a style from China brought by Doshin-So to Japan in the early 20th Century (don't believe it). The only "real" Shorinji Ryu is an Okinawan style of Shorin Ryu which was passed down by Chotoku Kyan. This system isn't to be confused with Richard Kim's Japanese Shorinji Ryu which is a BS style IMHO.

"Ji" refers to the Temple proper, but Shorin (Shaolin) already denotes this fact. Kind of a redundant term. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Krunkenstein (edited 10-07-2003).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: shorin and shoriji - 07/01/04 07:11 PM

Why do you think that Richard Kim's style of Shorinji-Ryu is BS?
Posted by: reaperblack

Re: shorin and shoriji - 07/05/04 02:58 AM

I do shorin ryu (shorin Kan) and my wife's brother does shorinji ryu. They look very similar in many respects,but shorinji is much harder, with many more linear movements. Shorin ryu is a little more circular and soft.
Posted by: Sensei Paul Hart

Re: shorin and shoriji - 02/16/05 04:04 AM

Richard Kim's system of Karate has some problems with it's history. That is why some people have a problem accepting it. I will not go into detail but do the research and you will see. I do know that the book Weaponless Warriors, that Kim claims to have written was a manuscript given him to read by Eizo Shimabukuro of Shobayashi fame. I have seen both books and you can tell that it was copied. I also believe Eizo shimabukuro to be the original author.
Posted by: Multiversed

Re: shorin and shoriji - 02/16/05 06:37 PM

Sensei Hart is correct. Richard Kim was a good JAPANESE style karate-ka. What he did has not real relation to Kyan's Shobayashi or Shorinji Ryu inspired Okinawan Karate. His "Weaponless Warrior" book borders on plagiarism. Research this for yourself.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: shorin and shoriji - 02/16/05 07:28 PM

The real shame is that nobody has translated Shimabukuro's original version into English.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
Posted by: Sensei Paul Hart

Re: shorin and shoriji - 02/17/05 06:18 PM

This is happening as we speak from what I have heard. It should be available sometime in the near future.