on the topic of kata...

Posted by: malanr

on the topic of kata... - 06/03/03 03:59 PM

I'm here to bother again. so listen up!

Everybody knows that kata is a good way to perfect movement and is said to be the key to fighting or self defending.

Punch line: I was in class on saturday and a fellow student asked "what is the relevance of starting this form (or any other form) in this stance and chambering this way... lalala.

it was at this point i realized that all kata moves are probably there for a reason and apply some sort of defence or strike that leads to the end of a confrontation.

little did the student know, he then got the crap kicked out of him and understood the answer of his question.

now my question. Does anybody know of a kata book (specifically for tae kwon do) that demonstrates the WTF or ITF forms and gives examples for every step of the form? the Book I have has good pictures and only has an application picture for one or two moves in the kata. I WANT MORE!!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

anyone would happen to know of this book, please help me find a copy. the more explination i can find on the kata, the more enjoyable it seems. (you know, why do i do this move, !!! oh i see !!!)

thanks again
the sometimes long winded one

Re: on the topic of kata... - 06/03/03 04:41 PM

Back so soon...

in addition i just read a thread (poet, didn't know it) about the kakushi-di

wow. anyway, it reminded me of something George Dillman said in a seminar i was at.

we were discussing the application of kata and the blocks that we all have learned. Would you use a down block, or low-block to block a kick? i wouldn't want my arm broke would you? The assumption we made was that in the 50's when the American Service men stationed in Japan and China after the war started studing with the great masters of the time, there was miscommunication in the teaching of a block. OR THAT the master didn't want the american student to learn that a low block is a strike to vital points on the upper leg (we've all been subject of a Jerry's kid eh?) or the points on the lower arm that break grip and deaden the arm. or that a high-block, performed correctly can is actually a way to break or hyperextend an elbow.

so maybe the use of "block" was actually a cop-out to keep this stuff secret.?!?!!?

i am the long winded one maybe we should start another thread on this subject.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: on the topic of kata... - 06/03/03 10:14 PM

Hi Malanr,

I haven't seen a TKD book like you describe showing the application for their forms.

Several possibilites you may want to consider.

First, Rick Clark has a book out showing 75 uses for the Down Block, published by Tuttle. I gives you lots of possibities to consider.

Then there's a very expensive Hapikido text about 3" thick, that has tons of techniques in it. As Hapikido is a Korean art, it may have possibilites for you to use in your search.

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu
Posted by: JohnL

Re: on the topic of kata... - 06/04/03 08:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Victor Smith:
Hi Malanr,

First, Rick Clark has a book out showing 75 uses for the Down Block, published by Tuttle. I gives you lots of possibities to consider.

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu
[/QUOTE]

It's interesting to note that in that book, none of the applications for a down block are to actually use it as a down block.

JohnL
Posted by: KarateJoe

Re: on the topic of kata... - 06/04/03 09:01 AM

Iain Abernethy has some good stuff in the way of kata applications, both books & videos.

Check out this link for more information:
www.iainabernethy.com

I personally use stuff that he's written & stuff from his videos. It's very good, easy to retain & you don't need to be superman to apply it, always a bonus!!! :-)

Re: on the topic of kata... - 06/04/03 09:20 AM

Thanks Victor. I have added the hapkido bible and a book of Tedeschi's healing techniques to my Barnes and Noble Wishlist. Now if i can get my girlfriend to buy them for me.

Matt