Soshin

Posted by: Sandifer

Soshin - 05/15/03 10:06 PM

Has anyone heard of the kata Soshin? I am aware of one called Sochin. If you have can you share any information on it. I have not been able to find any references. Thanks in advance.

Sandifer M. Deer
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Soshin - 05/16/03 08:25 AM

Sochin is one of the Shotokan blackbelt kata. It is a powerfull kata with many double handed techniques. When used in competition it is generally chosen by bigger karateka, as it tends to suit that build of person more so than a lighter person.

I believe it also exists in Shito-Ryu, but I haven't seen it done so couldn't tell you how it compares.

I've never heard of a kata callsed Soshin but will try and check

JohnL
Posted by: kakushiite

Re: Soshin - 05/17/03 01:00 PM

The Shito Ryu version has nothing in common with the Shotokan version. The Shito Ryu version comes from Arakaki along with Unsu and Niseishi (Nijushiho).

The opening is a little like Unsu. Three consective cat stances forward, with double yoku ukes (Outside blocks), and one hand pulls back and strikes. Just as in Sachin, and several other Naha-te kata.

-Kakushiite
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Soshin - 08/22/03 01:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
Sochin is one of the Shotokan blackbelt kata. It is a powerfull kata with many double handed techniques. When used in competition it is generally chosen by bigger karateka, as it tends to suit that build of person more so than a lighter person...

JohnL
[/QUOTE]

I'd add that it's main purpose is to train in the use of sochin- (Also called fudo- ) dachi, in a similar way as Hangetsu Kata is meant to train in the use of hangetsu- dachi.