The Two Man Basics . . .

Posted by: Anonymous

The Two Man Basics . . . - 03/04/02 12:42 PM

(I'm on a role today . . . two posts in five minutes)

Does anyone else in the Isshinryu community practice or know of the Two Man Basics, as developed by Sensei Harvey Kennedy and William Pogue?

Doing these exercises has definetly given me insight into some of the possibilities for the basics!

Re: The Two Man Basics . . . - 03/13/02 09:28 PM

Recently I heard from a friend in Wisconsin who said her sensei taught them something like the Two Man Basics, but the chart she sent me was not at all like what I have been taught and have seen taught.

Has anyone seen the Two Man Basics or something like this exercise?
Posted by: Sandifer

Re: The Two Man Basics . . . - 03/15/02 07:18 AM

In Goju we have what we call kata bunkai. It's not a free for bunkai but a two persoin pre-arranged application of kata in which one side performs the kata in a linear often condensed fasion against an opponent. The bunkai us designed so that both sides must attack and defend with the techniques as they are (mostly) arranged within the kata sets. They are very basic (ie. mostly punch kick block) but for the advanced kata they are some throws that are involved. The Kata bunkai however, is much more advanced in this form that say sanbon kumite or other ippon kumite and they take the kata from beginning to end.

One (IMHO) down side to this is that the kata which we apply this type of bunkai to is almost strickly set up using modern kihon kata developed within the last 50-60 years. This one classical form in which we apply this bunkai is Saifa. My goal is to develop these two man basic sets for all the classic kata which we practice (ie. Seisan, Seipai, Seiunchin, etc.)

If anyone practices in this manner and has sets for these forms please share. Thanks.

Sandifer
Posted by: karateka

Re: The Two Man Basics . . . - 03/16/02 07:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sandifer:
In Goju we have what we call kata bunkai. It's not a free for bunkai but a two persoin pre-arranged application of kata in which one side performs the kata in a linear often condensed fasion against an opponent. The bunkai us designed so that both sides must attack and defend with the techniques as they are (mostly) arranged within the kata sets. They are very basic (ie. mostly punch kick block) but for the advanced kata they are some throws that are involved. The Kata bunkai however, is much more advanced in this form that say sanbon kumite or other ippon kumite and they take the kata from beginning to end.

One (IMHO) down side to this is that the kata which we apply this type of bunkai to is almost strickly set up using modern kihon kata developed within the last 50-60 years. This one classical form in which we apply this bunkai is Saifa. My goal is to develop these two man basic sets for all the classic kata which we practice (ie. Seisan, Seipai, Seiunchin, etc.)

If anyone practices in this manner and has sets for these forms please share. Thanks.

Sandifer
[/QUOTE]

hi,

i do this type of training very often and
have my students explain demonstrate bukai
during belt tests.
i normally ask for three bunkai per kata
at least.and not only the ones i have shown them, this is a great way to make them think.
and i some times learn from them

Re: The Two Man Basics . . . - 07/29/04 10:51 PM

yes, my school does very often, what is your question about them?
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: The Two Man Basics . . . - 07/30/04 11:43 AM

I've met Harvey (nice guy) and trained under Master Pogue for about 3 years while I was a Nidan. But I never heard him mention the term "2 man basics".

Perhaps you mean where a technique from a kata or even the basics themselves are performed with an uke to illustrate how they work best, counters, etc?