shotokan kata

Posted by: martinnitram

shotokan kata - 12/02/01 12:23 PM

hi

i practice shotokan karate and have done for twelve years, i am currently a second dan in the art. i also do aikido and aikijitsu which helps me with my bunkai. I have recently been going through my katas coming up with different bunkai for them.

i was wondering if anyone has any application moves for the kata tekki shodan. also i would like to hear other peoples views on the use of pressure points in kata bunkai. last but not least i would love to know some other application moves for the first kata in my association heian shodan.

thanx martin
Posted by: omegapoint

Re: shotokan kata - 12/06/01 07:50 PM

Is Tekki Shodan synonymous with Naihanchi Shodan? Is Heian the same as Pinan? If so then there is valid Bunkai for both, from salutation to terminus.

What movements do you want interpreted? Just ask and ye shall receive, hahaha...

Later and holla' at me with specific questions and I'll try and elaborate.

Re: shotokan kata - 12/10/01 03:40 PM

hi

yes heian is the same as pinan.

just think that the kata has some unique techniques and like the way it is performed on one straight line with no turns.

look forward to your application for the moves.

martin

[This message has been edited by martinnitram (edited 12-10-2001).]
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: shotokan kata - 12/12/01 06:07 PM

Naihanchi(Tekki) kata is a wonderful kata so full of information that ten years might be enough to get all the goods out.

A deceptively simple kata that is mostly overlooked by many karateka, it is good to see interest in it.

The opening can be seen as a push coming into the chest area. When the hands are placed in this position it will work against a single or double hand push. The hands will trap the wrist and the trunk will turn to the 45 then the you move into the cross-legged stance(which will drop the uke)and cause him to turn away exposing Gall Bladder-20 at the base of the occipital. Make the final motion in the section to step out into a horse and extend the arm while pulling the other(which has locked on the wrist points) to your waist. The results are wonderful.

Much better than fighting along a wall or rice pattie.

Scott

Re: shotokan kata - 12/15/01 10:20 AM

its amazing just how much you can get out of the katas when you start to explore them deeper, thanks great application.

i would be appreciative if you posted your thoughts on the application of the move where you do a uchuke shoto uke then i think its tate uraken uchi im not sure, if you break each move down into numbers it would be the tenth and elleventh move.

Hope you can work out which move i mean.

thanks

please post other applications in the kata

martin

[This message has been edited by martinnitram (edited 01-07-2002).]
Posted by: SaiFightsMS

Re: shotokan kata - 03/13/02 12:35 AM

How about those wonderful spots in the Tekki/Naihanchi katas where a head block goes straight into a back fist. Hey even a simple press block into a back fist is a great move.
Posted by: shotoshodan86

Re: shotokan kata - 02/21/03 11:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by martinnitram:
hi

i practice shotokan karate and have done for twelve years, i am currently a second dan in the art. i also do aikido and aikijitsu which helps me with my bunkai. I have recently been going through my katas coming up with different bunkai for them.

i was wondering if anyone has any application moves for the kata tekki shodan. also i would like to hear other peoples views on the use of pressure points in kata bunkai. last but not least i would love to know some other application moves for the first kata in my association heian shodan.

thanx martin
[/QUOTE]

hi,bunkai you might want to try would be the first technique(the stepping to the right) and have karate-ka attach either jodan or chudan hidari oizuki then use your right leg stepping out behind their leg(put the front of your knee behind the back of theirs)then use right "shuto" and press karate-ka backwards over knee as takedown . it could show importance of stance strength and different use of tech. or perhaps even the shuto could be block of punch and the stepping of the right foot could stomp oppenent's foot for distraction or other.
Posted by: kakushiite

Re: shotokan kata - 02/21/03 08:28 PM

I have developed extensive bunkai for many Shuri-te kata including the Pinans, Naihanchi Shodan, Bassai Dai, and a number of other kata. My bunkai is pretty complex. Every combination has a takedown and I use a lot of locks. Therefore, it takes a lot of text to describe accurately. My bunkai is oriented towards the Okinawan versions, which in many places have shorter, more upright stances.

Of all the kata, Naihanchi (Tekki) is most similar across the many Shuri-te systems today. If you are interested, perhaps we could do this in stages. I could describe an application one section at a time. You could then work on it with a partner, long enough to verify it works for you, or ask questions for clarification. Once you get that section down, I could describe the next stage of the application.

Let me know if you are interested.

[This message has been edited by kakushiite (edited 02-21-2003).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: shotokan kata - 02/17/05 06:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by martinnitram:
hi

thanx martin
[/QUOTE]

HI MARTIN: I have done shotokan for 7 years and i am a sho dan! tekki shodan is done in horse stance all the way threw so it is a powerfull kata near the end of the kata the part when you turn your head the kick in fron of your leg that part is a nice strong sweep. what do you think of kanku di my personal best kata?