my kata applications (shotokan)

Posted by: charlie

my kata applications (shotokan) - 08/25/09 11:28 AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlqOcLqc0Wg

mainly from Bassai Dai but including Heian Yondan and Jion.

Hope you like it!

Charlie
Posted by: kakushiite

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 08/25/09 02:30 PM

Charlie,

Very nice. Crisp, clean. Lots of variety. I enjoyed the crab-claws (scissors) kick takedown at the end.

Heian Yondan and Bassai Dai are in my top 5 kata, so I was particularly interested in your ideas for those. If you were interested in comparative approaches, I would be happy to share some different concepts for the same movements you covered.

Mike Eschenbrenner

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 08/25/09 04:22 PM

Great thanks Mike - I would be most interested in some other ideas for sure, always love to learn new ideas or concepts for kata. I do love my kata! and also have favourites, Heian Yondan and Bassai Dai as some of them. I am hoping to start my own class mid september we did some filming for a website and thought I'd post the applications on here.

Thanks again, It's nice to get possitive feedback.
Posted by: oldman

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 08/25/09 09:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6_2YM60qcM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlUrW9UMR2k

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 08/26/09 06:14 AM

Hey thanks Oldman....I have just subscribed to your channel..very good stuff, gave me some more ideas. I also do Tae Kwon-Do (ITF) which of course is closely linked to shotokan too. Nice to see father and son training together too, however you don't look that old to me!! Thanks again, best wishes from the UK.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 08/26/09 05:26 PM

Charlie, do you ever utilize these applications against resistance, varied attacks, or in kumite? Or just demo type stuff?

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 08/28/09 11:03 AM

The clip on youtube was mainly for demo, showing what some applications 'could' be, just some of the ideas for my take on bunkai from various katas (mainly Bassai Dai)

In most of the techniques there, I strike first then apply the technique - hopefully lowering the resistance to the technique! although in the clip its not easy to see that. But yeah I do believe its good to train with resisitance and variations of attack for sure. I have used a few in kumite before, but most of the places I have been to / train in, have been mostly sport / tornament points type sparring - but I did sneak a few in, take downs, ankle locks etc!! when I start teaching my own class (soon) I can introduce different types of drills for kumite using bunkai.
Posted by: underdog

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 08/29/09 08:11 AM

I liked the clip. It gave me one good idea that I hadn't thought of on my own so that made it worthwhile. It is the throw from the C-block. It also comes up in a lot of Kata so it is a good application to have.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 08/29/09 06:34 PM

Hi Charlie,

some good work shown, personally I work Bunkai a little differently but I enjoyed your presentation and saw some interesting things in there.

By the way if you fancy getting together sometime im always keen to meet other martial artists and train with them, im in East Sussex so not that far from you - I actually have a friend in Camberly which is not so far, he is a good karateka even though he does wado ryu............

anyhow cudos to you for posting your video - most keyboard warriors wouldn't dare show their secrets!

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 08/30/09 08:08 AM

Hi Jim,

Thanks, pleased you liked my clip, hopefully there will be some more on the way. It would be good to train at some point, I am always keen to learn new things. Camberley is not far from me at all, there are a few Wado Ryu groups around that area which seems to be popular around Aldershot / Camberely way..shu ha ri wado ryu but I havent trained with them. I do Shotokan Karate but have trained in Goju with Shihan Jon Alexander and with Alan Platt Ju Go Te Jutsu (uk-karate.com)
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 08/31/09 04:50 AM

e-mail sent, I look forward to meeting up and training sometime Charlie.
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 08/31/09 12:04 PM

Hi Genuinely nice clip.

Although your Kata Sequence 1.15 onwards does not really match the application. When I used to do that one (and it is a personal thing granted). I use it like a reverse Kwan Sau to catch a kick. I will describe this block to defend against a Chudan/Jodan Maegeri.

You and your opponent are in a Left fighting stance and your opponent attacks with a Left Chudan/Jodan Maegeri.

The Right Hand scoops downwards as a Gedanbarai, whilst the Left forearm protects the face.

(The Drawing-back movement in the Kata whilst the Right hand goes down and the Left hand pulls upwards and to the back can be used to both unbalance your opponent whilst damaging their knee).

Imagine. As soon as a gentle-touch-contact has been made with the Maegeri, then scoop the Right Gedanbarai to the right, under the kicking leg and back upwards to the rear (Palm Up), whilst still holding onto the underside of the Calf/Ankle-Bone. The Left forearm will automaticaly readjust itself to the kneecap of the kicking leg. Scoop your Left palm over the kneecap and drag the kneecap over and down towards your Left side.

If done smoothly and in the exact was of your Kata, then your opponent should now have been gently twisted around to his right and either be on the floor or on one leg with the other being twisted around and a bad angle for them.

Please let me know if the description was clear enough.

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 08/31/09 04:59 PM

Hi GriffyGriff,

Thanks for the feed back. I think I understand what you are saying about your application. I assume you are refering to the take down from the front kick? And yours is a good one and valid. In my take down (scooping block / outside block app) I am attacking 'spleen 6' which is a kyusho jutsu point and VERY painfull!!If you check it out again - the final position I am using knife hand to the point.

Not sure what a 'kwan sau' is but I am thinking it must be a snake like movement around the leg.

of course the beauty of kata is that there are loads of possibilities for applications which I find very interesting and thought prevoking. An early teacher of mine said 'I give you the techniques - you then have to come up with your interpretations and think for yourself, what you come up with won't be wrong, just some better than others'

I will say since learning Aiki Jujutsu over the last 12 years I have learned there are a lot of hidden Jujutsu and kyusho Jutsu techniques within kata, which of course compliments my Karate and in turn TKD. I have posted a clip of Aiki Jujutsu on the martial talk section on FA.
heres the link. Thank you.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdLcCooy-Wg

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 09/03/09 05:10 PM

Charlie wrote:
Quote:
Great thanks Mike - I would be most interested in some other ideas for sure, always love to learn new ideas or concepts for kata

I have a videoblog (www.cayugakarate.com/blog) where I post videos of my training. And in a couple of weeks will begin posting instructional videos.

I have a unique approach to Okinawan/Japanese kata. I believe they were designed for battlefield use. And over the next several years, my videoblog will attempt to demonstrate this novel concept.

A couple of days ago I trained in kata for an hour (100 kata), mostly Pinan Shodan, but also some Pinan Yondan, Godan, Naihanchi (Tekki), Kusanku (Kanku) and Bassai Dai.

Following are two videos. The first is of three repetitions of the empty hand kata (Shito Ryu version, although I do practice the Shotokan version). The second video shows my ideas regarding the battlefield fighting applications inherent in the kata.

There is no instruction. It will be some time before I get to that online. Everything will be broken down with actual attacks and lots of discussion and analysis. For the next several months, I am focusing on the Pinans, and then Naihanchi/Tekki.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soedA6NFwk8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PqqrA8ocIY

The weapon you see looks like a bo, but it is held at one end. It should be viewed as though there is a spear/halberd at the end.

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 09/04/09 11:30 AM

Hey Mike,

Ive checked out your clips, I really liked them. What a great place to practice kata! you live in a beautifull place, I wasnt sure where Ithaca was so I looked it up on google, as I live in the UK my U.S geography isnt great, I have been to Florida 3 times though.

I enjoyed watching your Bassai Dai, it's different to my shotokan version (no bad thing at all) I liked looking at the variations, really nice, I like the use of neko ashi datchi with shuto. I also checked out your blog, looking forward to seeing some more stuff on there too with your forthcoming instuctionals.
1 hour of kata! that takes a lot of mental determination!good work out though - especially Bassai Dai! hearing that is good motivation for me to do some too. Thanks again, best wishes. Charlie.

Re: my kata applications (shotokan) - 09/04/09 01:53 PM

Hey Charlie,

Thanks for the kind words. Over time I will present Shotokan versions of kata. And this summer I spent a lot of time on the Shotokan variations for the spear. Right now I am focused on Shito Ryu, since that is what I teach my students. I have to have movements fairly reflexive for my classes, so I need to have just one set I am working on.

Here's an interesting concept. Look at the different major variations of kata, and you'll find that all the different concepts make sense regarding a spear. Take stances for example. Longer stances allow for greater distance. In battlefield spear fighting, the distance to an opponent can vary significantly. Aside from distance, short stances and longer stances can be a variety of different ways, so it is beneficial to practice them both. I will cover that over time.

Over the next few years, I will cover the pretty much the entire Shotokan curriculum. (Not sure if I will cover Sochin, since I am not sure that is an Okinawan kata.)

Regarding Ithaca, I am fortunate to live in a place in the U.S. which has a lot of nice scenery. My videoblog will continue to capture as much of that beauty as I can.

I can be reached at cayugakarate@gmail.com. I am very interested to learn what people think of the ideas I will present over the next several years. Please feel free to email me.