Posted by: Victor Smith

Motobu Karate - 09/28/08 06:42 AM

Motobu Karate –
01.0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eJoDYEx7KQ
01.5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2lyl1hop30
02.0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrmAPve7te0
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Motobu Karate - 09/28/08 05:57 PM

intersting view on blocking, i don't share the same idea though. these demo's are a nice glimpse into a new way of training and thinking about karate and its kata.

it seems to me that the "kings" of the karate demo wrold have to be the kyokushin guys, they always showed you how bad ass they were by destroying things or people. don't get me wrong, this stuff is fine and dandy, but i'd love to see some of these guys "apply" what they learn...

but, i guess its hard to know the context of the video.

thanks for posting it Victor, how much time do you spend on youtube looking for this stuff anyway?

Re: Motobu Karate - 09/28/08 09:24 PM

Student,

Frankly I think the Okinawan Uechi Seniors are among the most impressive in their skill, power and technique. But that's just a quick answer, not the whole picture.

Probably the most impressive senior is the one that trained hardest, longest and never has had to use their art.

How I find this material is just a question of a series of directed searches done periodically, and seeint what shows up. Looking has nothing to do with training, but though aging and slowing down I only sleep 4 hours a night (30 years ago it was about 2 1/2 hours), and where I used to read 3 or 4 books a week in the night, I spend my time elsewhere now.

The true power of the internet, allowing us to share a bit of the surface of our arts is in the process of occuring as we speak. I enjoy looking and thinking about what I see. Rarely does anything I find give me a reason to consider it, but I've always felt the more we know the more we might understand each other.

The reality is today there are very few things we can't see, of the surface ofthe art. Of the core of any art, that remains 1000% under the surface and unseen. It may be there, it may not be, no video performance can answer that question. Of course any of us may like or dislike what we see, but that is still a surface opinion.

I do not believe we will see much deeper, simply because it's too complicated to share, simply.

Re: Motobu Karate - 09/28/08 11:08 PM

"I do not believe we will see much deeper, simply because it's too complicated to share, simply."

darn it victor, why do you always sounds so mysterious, lol.

i've always been partial to the idea that karate and fighting is just basics, and "advanced basics". anything complicated and martial at the same time is walking a thin line between hobby and practical skill.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Motobu Karate - 09/29/08 01:12 PM

Quote:

... these demo's are a nice glimpse into a new way of training and thinking about karate and its kata.

but i'd love to see some of these guys "apply" what they learn...

but, i guess its hard to know the context of the video.

This is not a new view. It is an old view. This is Okinawan Karate before it became Phys Ed for kids.

Choki Motobu was well known as a fighter. That is where he developed and refined his style - in real fights. His son, who is shown in the video was a police officer. I'm sure he used much of this in apprehending criminals.

The context of the video is that it is a presentation of the basics of Motobu Ryu Karatedo.

I own this video set and had previously been a teacher of Motobu ha Shito Ryu that was passed down from Shogo Kuniba. Motobu lived in the Kuniba house and taught at the Seishinkan Dojo there in Osaka. Kuniba's father, Kokuba Kosei, was born and raised in Okinawa and was a student of Motobu there. I can't say that there was no new material for me on the video but, much of these ideas were passed down in the teachings of Kuniba.

It is difficult for people to grasp some of these ideas. But if you take the time to train and learn to apply them you will come to the conclusion that this is a highly effective system.

Re: Motobu Karate - 09/29/08 02:01 PM

hey, nice to meet a practitoner of the system.

now its phys ed for the elderly!, lol. sorry couldn't help it.

Re: Motobu Karate - 09/29/08 10:19 PM

Student,

If you know how to look there is very, very little of the surface of arts that isn't posted on the net. The full extent is unreal, great, good, bad and of course ugly.

I wasn't playing games, the kata video's are just the surface of the lake. Nobody really has answered how any system systematically approaches bunkai, it's much deeper than the few video's suggest (and sometimes much less depending), nor has anyone really tackled skill acquisition and skill resets required with aging, and the development of strategic and tactical thinking.

Fortunately my instructors never went the 'basics' and 'advanced basics' approach, they just kept working deeper and deeper and occasionally posted some of the upcoming signposts.

Until you've really worked on students who've kept working for 20+ years the depth of instruction is hard to describe.

Much of it is beyond experience of those who don't pay the price, long term training.

It really doesn't matter if others believe it exists, its enough that I practice what I preach and my students find it useful.

victor
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=BushiNoTeIsshinryu