Don't know much...

Posted by: oldman

Don't know much... - 06/04/08 10:13 PM

about Karate, but I know it when I see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9FzCuz-rFk
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Don't know much... - 06/05/08 06:12 AM

Thats certainly one of the best examples I have seen of Okinawan Goju Ryu Seisan Kata.

The power shown was tremendous.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Don't know much... - 06/05/08 06:49 AM

Very nice...almost exactly the same as we do it in timing and movement.

I see I'm gonna have to amend my youtube searching to include 'karatee'.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Don't know much... - 06/05/08 08:14 AM

Hello Mark:

Interesting... have to look more closely when time allows. It's definately POWER, but not in the "Higaonna" "typical" sense. (He moves quickly, yeah... )

Jeff
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Don't know much... - 06/05/08 03:07 PM

Very good kata example!

Re: Don't know much... - 06/10/08 02:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_XrBTx51x8&NR=1

One variation of bunkai for seisan.

Take a look at 2:23, a knee to someone's takedown attempt.
Posted by: dandjurdjevic

Re: Don't know much... - 06/10/08 09:53 PM

I have a lot of time for uechi's sanseiryu.

Re: Don't know much... - 06/10/08 10:32 PM

Sorry - I meant seisan (and sanseiryu).

The uechi versions are quite interesting. You can see a relationship to goju, particularly with seisan.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Don't know much... - 06/11/08 01:46 AM

Quote:

Sorry - I meant seisan (and sanseiryu).

The uechi versions are quite interesting. You can see a relationship to goju, particularly with seisan.

Yeah, i've learned some of these same applications for Goju Seisan, or at least very similar. some can be found in the bunkai oyo drill we do for it as well.

The kata looks less different from the Goju version than the Sanseiryu, which seems way different to me.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Don't know much... - 06/11/08 04:38 AM

Brian,

This seisan video is a fair represenation of some of Uechi Seisan application potential.

While I've studied the form a bit, Uechi is not my system and my own interests are more how to counter their technique applications if coming my direction.

Uechi is a very powerful system imo.
Posted by: CVV

Re: Don't know much... - 06/11/08 07:05 AM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_XrBTx51x8&NR=1

One variation of bunkai for seisan.

Take a look at 2:23, a knee to someone's takedown attempt.

A few years back, my friend was sparring and attempted a take-down. His partner responded with the knee-counter. Although he succeeded the take-down, his ear was half ripped off and he needed 6 stitches to put it back in place.

Re: Don't know much... - 06/12/08 03:30 PM

Seems to me the applications were very basic. Block and then counter type bunkai. Where is the grappling? Where are the throws? Dislocations?
Posted by: Shonuff

Re: Don't know much... - 06/12/08 09:02 PM

Brian, does there need to be these things?

Should the bunkai of a kata include what was intended or what we want it to?

If it is what is intended, then why must we assume that our modern western view of what is effective fighting technique is going to be the same as what the okinawans of old viewed as effective fighting technique?

What if the kata creator had only block and strike in mind? Should we then ignore that because we feel it is ineffective?
Afterall Okinawans were just people. There's no reason to assume they had any great mystical knowledge of fighting or a particularly deep and clever means of encoding things into the kata.

I know you totaly disagree with the notion of blocking, but I've never read a single word by an Okinawan or anyone else with a strong historical karate background that supports your view.

Ian Abernathy has published a similar opinion on blocking as you. However while I respect his work I disagree with it. One reason I disagree is that in photo sequence 2 of the magazine article which he began by saying "it's impossible to block a punch" he proceded to begin his defense by blocking a punch.

Basic blocks IMO give you a good guard position and a strong platform from which to launch counter strikes. The blocking action should adapt according to the type of attack being thrown, but each adaptation offers an appropriate natural counter and fascilitates an advantagous position change. Yes anyone can just slap away strikes without much if any training, but it is an unstructured defence which does not offer any of the advantages I listed above.

On the other hand, if kata application is about what we in the here and now feel is effective then the question changes. Why do we need to bolt things onto kata at all?
Why not just find what is effective and train it, rather than finding it and force fitting it onto a kata movement before we can train it?

Re: Don't know much... - 06/12/08 10:17 PM

I happen to disagree wholeheartedly with the concept that it is "impossible to block a punch". See my sparring video - deflections happen all the time in our school. We use them. I think most people practice them as basics, but don't apply them in sparring. As indicated elsewhere, I can see why: doing basics or kata, then expecting the concepts (deflections etc.) to transfer "magically" into sparring is a mistake. That's why we use randori and embu etc. to learn to apply our deflections in sparring.

"Block" is of course a misnomer, but I still use it. "Deflection", "parry" etc. is much better. You never simply "block" an attack, but rather deflect it or parry it and simultaneously set yourself up for a counter.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Don't know much... - 06/13/08 12:53 AM

As far as blocking goes I believe that the blocking techniques of karate are key to karate's application. However, you don't really "block" attacks as much as you are disrupting your opponent's attack. You should use them to destroy his ability to effectively attack you. Which in turn provides you with the opening to attack. I think the inability to apply the blocking techniques is the difference between reacting to an attack and responding to an attack. One is attribute based and solely dependent on greater athletic talent and the other is determined by proper technique, timing, and usage.

Re: Don't know much... - 06/13/08 02:41 AM

Quote:

As far as blocking goes I believe that the blocking techniques of karate are key to karate's application.

I agree completely Marcel.

Quote:

However, you don't really "block" attacks as much as you are disrupting your opponent's attack. You should use them to destroy his ability to effectively attack you.

This is true in goju, but to a lesser extent than in shorin styles. In goju you often nullify the effect of his attack by a deflection. In other words, his attack is not disrupted, stopped, interrupted, ir suppressed - it is redirected harmlessly. I believe this to be true of many shorin "blocks" as well. Having said all this, I rarely see 'blocks' from karate being applied for either your purpose or the purpose I speak of.

Quote:

Which in turn provides you with the opening to attack.

Exactly.

Quote:

I think the inability to apply the blocking techniques is the difference between reacting to an attack and responding to an attack. One is attribute based and solely dependent on greater athletic talent and the other is determined by proper technique, timing, and usage.

Excellently put!

Re: Don't know much... - 06/13/08 10:42 AM

Quote:

Seems to me the applications were very basic. Block and then counter type bunkai. Where is the grappling? Where are the throws? Dislocations?

They were very basic yes, but that's ok sometimes. Honestly i'd rather see that than a bunkai video that gets overly imaginative about the uses of things. I'd rather see a decent kihon bunkai than some crazy ass advanced bunkai that stretches reality, see youtube for some examples lol.

On the subject of blocking, I agree totally with you guys. I think that's one of the reasons that applications that turn blocks into finger locks or wrist locks or whatever should always be secondary to actually knowing how to use the blocks.

A block should: protect you, disrupt him, make his next shot more difficult and yours easier.

We do randori similar to the videos Dan posted for training these reactions. I agree that most Karateka don't use them in sparring, I think it's due to equipment and the type of sparing being done.
Posted by: Shonuff

Re: Don't know much... - 06/13/08 01:58 PM

In my opinion basic blocks don't get used in sparring because:

a) how to use basic blocks effectively is not common knowledge. If people don't see others around them using the blocking movements they think no one can.

b) students get caught up in the "fight" and are more concerned with hitting and avoiding being hit than in learning to use techniques.

c) as happened to me, people hear of applications beyond blocking and combine their difficulty in applying these movements to ideas that they are for other uses, thus failing to explore their potential.

d) people try and use the whole blocking movement to block attacks for which it is innapropriate.

Using basic blocks first and foremost requires a fighter to think about what is happening and what he is doing about it. If you fight using only instinctive reaction then you will be able to informally slap away punches, but you won't be able actively take strategic advantage of the opponents attack. As Med said, one must respond (observe, assess, decide a course and act) as opposed to just reacting.

This is quite an advanced level of ability in and of its self and involves quite a bit of emotional detachment. Then to overcome the environmental attitudes listed above that push people away from exploring basic blocking is quite a feat.

I also feel that using basic blocks in sparring is an entirely different ball game to using them in self defense, but as I mentioned, not seeing others do them in sparring makes people think they are not applicable at all.

Re: Don't know much... - 06/13/08 04:24 PM

Quote:

In my opinion basic blocks don't get used in sparring because:

a) how to use basic blocks effectively is not common knowledge. If people don't see others around them using the blocking movements they think no one can.

Again though, it makes me wonder if this is because of not using drills and training methods in the dojo that facilitate using the techniques.

Quote:

b) students get caught up in the "fight" and are more concerned with hitting and avoiding being hit than in learning to use techniques.

Personally since i've been teaching i've found this the most troublesome thing for people to get past, especially beginners have a really hard time doing anything other than what comes instinctually at first, and this is usually sub par. They have a hard time putting together what they've learned in sandangi and other basic drills when a person is punching at them in a less structured manner.

So i've tried to develop drills (partially with the input of my teacher, and other people, thanks Shoshinkan!) for them that are "almost sparring" you might say and become less fixed over time...

I've also noticed a huge difference in what techniques people use (myself included) if you just start the sparring bout within striking range and allow for standing grappling, etc. this is where I've seen uke waza really come alive in my class.

Quote:

c) as happened to me, people hear of applications beyond blocking and combine their difficulty in applying these movements to ideas that they are for other uses, thus failing to explore their potential.

Yeah, youtube is full of people trying to turn kihon techniques into jujitsu or something. All that is fine and I think it's valid, but I don't see the value in treating blocks like that if you can't use them for their primary purpose.

Quote:

I also feel that using basic blocks in sparring is an entirely different ball game to using them in self defense, but as I mentioned, not seeing others do them in sparring makes people think they are not applicable at all.

I agree, but I'd say it applies to almost anything, sparring and fighting simply aren't the same thing. One can certainly be good be training for the other, but they definitely aren't equivalent in my mind.