kata questions

Posted by: penquin

kata questions - 04/27/08 08:12 AM

Is there a form that actually simulates sparing? I know they all are suppose to.

How about illustrations on the songahm forms? I am thinking about joining an ATA school, and those are their forms.

I am also thinking about joining a hwa rang do school, so illustrations on how to do their forms would be nice also. I just want to get a jump on things.
Posted by: ttruscott

Re: kata questions - 04/27/08 11:54 AM

What would you want that for? Kata is for fighting, not sparring...
Posted by: penquin

Re: kata questions - 04/27/08 03:09 PM

Quote:

I am trying to understand all aspects of martial arts
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: kata questions - 04/27/08 04:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am trying to understand all aspects of martial arts

If you want to learn kata find a good teacher Karate etc. teacher, honestly there aren't any "sparring kata" exactly that i'm aware of.
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: kata questions - 04/27/08 05:18 PM

Are you talking about two person kata? They simulate certain applications of specific techniques that can look like sparring. Don't know any specifics though.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: kata questions - 04/27/08 05:48 PM

Quote:

Is there a form that actually simulates sparing? I know they all are suppose to.

Ashihara has some kata that are done more-or-less as they would be done "for real". Parker AKK kata are also done the exact same way the SD techniques are done.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: kata questions - 04/28/08 01:31 AM

Quote:

How about illustrations on the songahm forms? I am thinking about joining an ATA school, and those are their forms.

I am also thinking about joining a hwa rang do school, so illustrations on how to do their forms would be nice also. I just want to get a jump on things.

No, there not all "supposed" to. Ashihara and Kempo have some that do,but they are much different than Okinawan kata,etc...

If you join an ATA school,get ready to hand out the dough,be promoted often, and gain very little knowledge of proper technique or self defense.

If you join the Hwarang place just wait for them to teach you the way hey do things. It may be very different from what you might find on the net.