Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan

Posted by: oldman

Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/24/08 11:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czeBkdk-nps

In this short video you see potential applications for movements in this kata / form. The applications are built on movements 6,7, and 8 which are commonly referred to as a down block, a rising knife hand and a high block.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/28/08 01:58 AM

Mark,

That stuff has really good potential and ofcourse can be used for more than wrist grabs.

I noticed in the last technique your chambered hand was empty?

Thanks for posting!!
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/28/08 03:18 AM

interesting stuff with potential IMO, Mark is that you?

If so get the attacker to lift the rear hand in strike position or at least do something with it threatening, this will then illistrate that you are very open on some of the grab releases and change the dynamic a little.

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/28/08 02:17 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.

Brian, there are many karate folks that have a hard time imagining that series of techniques as anything other than a block, a block and a block. Part of the reason I did the video was just to remind people that the techniques can be understood in different ways. About the empty chambered hand. In the portion of the form I was showing it progresses from down block to rising knife hand then to a high block. You could pull something back with the chambering hand, or continue by stepping forward with a series of high blocks / strikes.

Jim, you make a good point about having the uke be more menacing or threatening. I agree with your assessment about the openings. When I show techniques from forms or basics I like for the examples to have the movements look just like the kata. That way people don't have to make such leap. Two of the ideas I wanted to show my guys again were, Blocks as strikes... the wrap up for a block as the block itself. One other thing I'm looking at is if your response to someone grabbing your wrist or arm is fast enough your waist twist can destabilize their balance enough keep them from getting a solid punch off.

btw, yes Jim that is me.

If you are interested there are more at...

http://www.youtube.com/user/PrairieMartialArts

Posted by: cxt

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/28/08 02:51 PM

oldman

Very good stuff!!!!

Thanks for posting it.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/28/08 04:30 PM

understood Mark,

in relation to having the attacker be more 'alive' my point wasn't so much in relation to stepping the pace up etc etc (that can come with specific drilling) but more about teaching the reality of common assaults as early as possible, ie they are going to be doing something with the other hand, and so to be aware of it.

I will check out the other clips.

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/28/08 06:33 PM

That's very true. I don't know how many words I have wasted on the subjest od "blocks."

Good stuff!
Posted by: jude33

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/28/08 07:25 PM

Hi Oldman.

Excellent.
Clearly explained.
Well thought out.
Well put together.

Jude
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/28/08 11:00 PM

nice video's mark, thanks for posting them. im curious about the "setting" position that you and your students use in kata. as best as i can describe what im seeing, there seems to be a more pronounced (forgive my lack of understanding) "wind up" before you preform a technique. is this in all the kata of your style? and is its purpose in bunkai? or a take on sine wave? or something else?

thanks again for the video's, good stuff.

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/29/08 01:02 AM

sol,
No apology needed. Our style does have a very pronounced wrap up or waist twist. Theoretically It can add power into blocks or strikes. You could think of it like hitting a baseball. You are going to put more on the ball if the bat is swung from over your shoulder than if you started your swing holding the bat directly out in front of you. Early on in my training it seemed odd to me. By the time you get your hands wrapped up you could be getting punched in the face. So why wrap up when it would be faster just to put your hand up?

So, over time I began to look at ways that wrap up could be used. I looked at it from block, punch, kick, paradigms and also from HAOV perspectives. Our school does not have a tradition of transmitting bunkai, other than standard that is, so I just continued to follow my interests. Here is another video of the same passage.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PrairieMartialArts

One thing I can say about big wrap ups is they can help to exercise the full range of movement. In the video you can see the same movements applied in a larger way and a shorter tighter way.

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/29/08 01:08 AM

"sol"

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/29/08 01:17 AM

D'oH.

My bad.
Posted by: Paulol

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/29/08 07:24 AM

great use of your way of doing a hip twist!

i think you are subscribed to my youtube channel so no need to tell you about that

and some of my videos pop up at the end of yours
Posted by: Ives

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/29/08 11:17 AM

Quote:

"sol"

It means sun in spanish.

Great vid's Oldman.
It reminds me of Rick Clark's books.

You have a really nice way explaining things.
Thanks muchos

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/29/08 11:25 AM

Paulol,
Yep, I subscribed. We have some commonalities between us. Korean and japanese influences. I'm familiar with Rick Clarks work also. Rick has a Chung do Kwan background prior to or along with his pressure point/ Ao Den ku Kai work. As far as our videos go I have a question, how do you handle all of the contact from beautiful women that want to hook up with you after they see you on film? I don't even have enough time to tell them all I'm married. It's not easy for guys like us born with ruggedly handsome good looks. It's a burden we must bare. One thing your cork accent? is cooler than my middle American drawl

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/29/08 11:27 AM

In Arkansas it means "Shite out ot luck"

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/29/08 06:41 PM

Quote:

In Arkansas it means "Shite out of luck"

Exactly.

Re: Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 04/29/08 11:41 PM

Here is one last clip. It takes the same movement of the rising knife hand two block two incoming strikes. It then uses the rising high block as a strike or push to drive an opponant backwards. The student could have also used hikate,pulling hand, to hold me in place and drive the elbow /forearm strike.

This is just on of the many ways we play with chunks of the form.

As you can see even within these 3 movements in 1 kata you can find a lot of potential. That is one of the things that keeps the practice interesting and invigorating for me. Some people play golf. Some people go fishing. Some people paint pictures. As a professional artist/designer it is probably fair to say I look at kata like I look at a painting. What was the artist, the creator of the kata trying to communicate. The more I do it, the more I appreciate what they left behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mws9T98t-GM

Re: D'oH Bunkai Heian Shodan / PyungAhn Chodan - 05/05/08 10:15 PM

I just realized looking back at the thread I posted one of the videos twice. This was was supposed to be posted 2nd...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ-MEE9XmlE&feature=related

D'oH!!!