Motobu Ryu with Motobu Chosei

Posted by: Victor Smith

Motobu Ryu with Motobu Chosei - 04/04/08 09:54 PM

Yes Jim,

The last two minutes of this Motobu Ryu video show Motobu Chosei performing his fathers (Motobu Choki) self defense drills from the 1933 "Watashi no Karate-jutsu".

Are his hands open to receive the attacks with a quicker response than closed fists?

Certainly a set of simple direct responses to attack. Well worth the time to practice.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fmUEDqqj8hQ
Posted by: chofukainoa

Re: Motobu Ryu with Motobu Chosei - 04/04/08 10:39 PM

The first half has Motobu-ryu udundi bare hand and weapons kata, for those people who were waiting in vain for me to get my sensei to upload video of an udundi enbu.

I think the performers in this video are probably mainly students of the Choki-Chosei line of Motobu-ryu kenpo, however. I can tell by their stances and how they keep rooted during punches. Remember, the Motobu-ryu organization is divided between the two styles. Some dojo mix more than others.

That appears to be Chosei sensei demonstrating naihanchi from about 5:35, but I don't think he is in the pair before that. Hard to tell with the video quality.
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: Motobu Ryu with Motobu Chosei - 04/05/08 07:10 AM

It is a shame theat video isn't of a better quality.

Two lines?

Chokki-Chosei & Choyu-Uehara?
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Motobu Ryu with Motobu Chosei - 04/05/08 10:03 AM

There is a Japanese video of Motobu Chosei performing those techniques and his fathers kata, as well as an American version by Tsunami I think.
Posted by: chofukainoa

Re: Motobu Ryu with Motobu Chosei - 04/05/08 10:43 AM

Sorry, i meant Motobu kenpo which goes through Choki sensei and Motobu udundi which goes through Choyu and Uehara sensei. Not two lines of Motobu kenpo. As discussed in another thread, Chosei sensei is now the head of both.

Yeah, shame about the video. It would have been nice to see Chosei sensei from the front too...
Posted by: Seiken

Re: Motobu Ryu with Motobu Chosei - 04/07/08 02:21 AM

I had the honor of meeting him, learning(correcting more or less) naihanchi and the kumite drills at a seminar a few years back. He had more than this to show though, lots of freeform applications... He also had a giant of a man for a training partner, who was tossed around effortlessly.

His naturalness and seemingly flawless technique at his age was incredible. They had passed around a book full of personal family photos, very cool to see.
Posted by: Barad

Re: Motobu Ryu with Motobu Chosei - 04/18/08 09:35 AM

...and Naihanchi Nidan right at the end I think.

B.
Posted by: ThunderboltLotus

Re: Motobu Ryu with Motobu Chosei - 04/21/08 08:40 AM

Chosei Motobu can be seen in two of Uehara dvds.

Tatsujin Uehara Seikichi
and Gotente (which also shows a younger Shiroma Kyonori)

and as Victor says The Karate Of Chokki Motobu by tsunami with his senior student Inaba Takeji