A possible link?

Posted by: Chatan1979

A possible link? - 03/24/08 08:46 AM

Hey all,
This may belong more in the weapon forums, but I wanted to get the opinion of some non-weapon students as well.

In the system of kobudo that I study there are two katas in particular that share some interesting characteristics.

Chatan yara no sai and Higaionna no Sai. I have read rumors that these two kata used to be one in the same. In fact, the ending of Higaionna no Sai seems to be left unfinished. The last movement is a sai throw. Chatan yara starts out with one sai missing and seems to pick up where Higaionna left off. I dont have access to youtube at the moment, but I have found footage of Higaiaonna no sai being called Chatan yara no sai SHO.
If we look back we can see that Yara from Chatan and Kanyro Higainno were alive relatively around the same time. Im at work so I dont have exact quotes available to me.

My question then, has anyone ever heard anything that alludes to this possible link between these two kata? Or any link between these two teachers? Thanks for any input. Ill try to get video up of both kata for those that dont know them.
Posted by: cxt

Re: A possible link? - 03/24/08 09:49 AM

Chantan

No clue, interesting idea though.
Posted by: catfight

Re: A possible link? - 03/28/08 07:02 AM

good idea