Chi-i-no-kata

Posted by: Ives

Chi-i-no-kata - 12/13/07 05:04 PM

Here's a clip from a Gensei-Ryu derivative called Seidokai (not to be confused with Seido (Juku) Karate).

The kata was created by Seiken Shukumine.
The style I study practices the kata also, but with minor differences.
Chi-i-no-kate video clip
It focuses on kokutsu-dachi (back stacne) alot. However, nearly only on one side.
I find it a difficult kata.

What are your thoughts?
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Chi-i-no-kata - 12/13/07 07:05 PM

Hi Ives,

Interesting kata, not seen in my area.

In many ways it resembles Chinto kata in its execution.

It is also different from more traditional kata in its number of retreating techniques.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Chi-i-no-kata - 12/14/07 03:09 AM

yes agreed Victor,

I also 'see' shotokan unsu kata similarities.

of course thats not a trained shotokan view etc etc.
Posted by: Ives

Re: Chi-i-no-kata - 12/16/07 04:16 PM

It is one of four typical Gensei Ryu (and offshoot) kata.
Namely Ten-i-no-kata, Chi-i-no-kata, Jin-i-no-kata and Sansai-no-kata. The chi-i-no-kata is learned at brown belt level.

I believe the chi resembles 'low' and ten 'high', the jin and sansai however, I don't know about. I don't speak Japanese and have learned ten and chi so far.

I have a link to the Jin-i-no-kata aswell.
I don't know if it is exactly like trained in my style.

This is the site I got the clips from. Maybe someone who can read japanese, can explain what is said in regards to the kata?
Posted by: harleyt26

Re: Chi-i-no-kata - 12/16/07 10:12 PM

I was taught a set of kata by the same names but are very different kata.But I was taught Ten no kata/kata of the heavens,Chi no kata/kata of the earth and Jin no kata/kata of the people.Ten no kata was similar to Shorin Ryu's Fukyu kata ich and Chi no kata was similar to Fukyu kata ni/Gekisai Dai ichi.Jin no kata was a set of sixteen kihon kata.The style I was training at the time was a branch of Motobuha Shito Ryu.As I said same names but very different kata. Tom Hodges
Posted by: phatkata

Re: Chi-i-no-kata - 12/31/07 07:36 PM

sansai no kata means mountain vegetables or wild vegetables.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mroering/gensei-ryu/galleries/mpeg04_melanie_sansai.html

cheers