Working on Forms/Katas

Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Working on Forms/Katas - 06/08/07 10:32 PM

Hey guys/girls,
I was wondering, do you believe working on your forms and katas are important to become a better martial artist? If so, do you think it is more important to work on forms or stances (i know a lot of you dont like stance work)?
I believe katas/forms are important and I work on them. But I see a lot better result working with techniques on a bag or in the air to get down the steps.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Working on Forms/Katas - 06/14/07 01:49 PM

Anyone who doesn't like stance work is headed for a fall. Working on the bag helps hone techniques. Working on kata harvests those techniques for you to work on.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Working on Forms/Katas - 06/14/07 06:17 PM

for practical karate the kata is simply a tool to deliver the 'karate' technique,

Its an essential ingrediant as part of a balanced recipie......which includes many other things
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Working on Forms/Katas - 06/14/07 09:57 PM

Do you even know what kata means? The "public perception" is "forms", but the literal meaning is "how one behaves". As Shoshinkan put it, it is merely the vehicle to deliver information to you and it's purpose is to change your behavior.

Kata can be merely the "stepping through" of one technique, or the "forms" which are so popularly changed on a daily basis by those that don't have a clue how they should conduct business. You don't just "learn kata", you progress through kata, and find the techniques becoming increasingly more complex and difficult to perform (in most cases). They are designed to help you develop proper body mechanics, focus, kime', and a host of other "small things" that simply can't be taught individually due to only having one lifetime in which to learn them. They teach you to change stances, do proper stances, do techniques from stances, and to remain balanced while moving... so there is a host of information involved in kata.

As for bag work, there is more to hitting than just finding the target. I've watched others at our dojo "hit the bag" and the bag swings on it's chains... when I hit it, the bag pivots... the top moves... the bottom comes up, and then it swings on it's chains... one hell of a difference in force delivery.

Clearly you have a "beginner's mind" from how you discuss kata, so before you start "deciding" what to focus your training on, try listening to what your teachers say, and follow their instructions. You'll do much better than trying to do it on your own.

Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Working on Forms/Katas - 06/15/07 03:54 AM

Begineers Mind is a good thing! LOL

Sho Shin.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Working on Forms/Katas - 06/15/07 08:17 AM

Quote:

... I've watched others at our dojo "hit the bag" and the bag swings on it's chains... when I hit it, the bag pivots... the top moves... the bottom comes up, and then it swings on it's chains... one hell of a difference in force delivery....

That's when you know you've hit it right; you've delivered force with focus, not pushing. The bag must jump.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Working on Forms/Katas - 07/18/07 11:34 AM

It's also not enough to learn the application (bunkai) if the application fails in body mechanics. There are so many incorrect interpretations of the techniques that w/o an understanding of body mechanics, the kata is only a dance.

Done correctly, kata will really enhance your MA training. Bagwork, although important, is not enough.

Re: Working on Forms/Katas - 07/18/07 07:02 PM

Wristtwister did you read where I said I practice them and work on them? I was asking for your guys opinions not what I do. So before you tell me I have a "beginners mind", read into what I am asking.
Posted by: pmt

Re: Working on Forms/Katas - 07/18/07 07:05 PM

Kata when practiced correctly will make you a better martial artist in the long run if you engage your brain. Bag work is equally important as was said b4 it needs to jump not swing. Also of major importance is kumite a living game of chess. All aspects come into to play to round off your martial arts education.
Posted by: Anonymous

Whats goin on? *DELETED* - 10/29/07 12:31 AM

Post deleted by oldman
Posted by: MattJ

SPAM ALERT ATTN MODS - 10/29/07 09:20 AM

Check that jackass' signature. Ban please.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Working on Forms/Katas - 10/29/07 11:27 AM

Hello Whitedragon11:

Critical to becoming a good practitioner. You cannot seperate stance from sequence. Stacne unto itself teaches the structure. The kata sequence give them intelligent context, whispers hints of principles.

When the solo kata, its pieces are known understood well, you add bodies and increase resistance. Without kata you miss the long term; anyone not in ideal physical perfection.
Kata can be explored by anyone no matter what their conditions/challenges.

The time line has many possibilities solo technique, power, sequence and the cycle begins again. I can do it by myself, have learned to control the big stuff, now I explore my knowledge with another person, them slowly resisting. Explore that. Then another body, and another. See what factors exist between different bodies, temperments. Then return to the kata, the bag and improve explore how to generate power.

Jeff

Re: Working on Forms/Katas - 11/07/07 06:16 PM

Thanks Jeff, good post.